Pre-Conference: Medical Wikipedians
There will be an event and meetup to which all medical Wikipedians are very welcome on Thursday, August 7th 2014 at 3.30 p.m. It is organized by John Byrne, Wiki CRUK John (talk) Wikipedian in Residence at Cancer Research UK, who will be hosting the event at their HQ at The Angel Building in Islington EC1V 4AD. There will be a presentation and discussion, followed by a move to a nearby pub. At some point we move off to cover the 1.5 miles (2.3 km) to the Barbican to catch the Wikimania Opening Ceremony and drinks.
Please publicize this to any medics attending Wikimania, or medical wikiprojects! The issues to be discussed affect all languages.
Outcome[edit | edit source]
We had a very successful meeting at CRUK, with editors from 5 continents, and several CRUK staff from various departments. Many thanks to all who came! One result can be seen at Wikipedia_talk:Manual_of_Style/Medicine-related_articles#A_change_to_some_of_our_headings, where improvements to some WP:MEDMOS headings that were discussed are being opened to the WP medical community.
Programme[edit | edit source]
- 3:15-3:30 Arrive at the Angel Building - you need a Visitor pass, which are already set up for all those marked with * below. Just give your name, visiting John Byrne (or Henry Scowcroft)
- 3:40 Welcome. Presentation and workshop/discussion on combining accessibility and scientific precision in medical writing
- 5.15 Online information from CRUK and elsewhere - some tips and resources
- 5.30 Pub round the corner (see section below), joined by more of CRUK's science communications team
- from 6.30 Set off for Barbican (easiest by bus - 10-15 mins at that time, details below)
Find us[edit | edit source]
- Map. Tube: 100 yards from Angel tube station (two stations from Moorgate on the Bank branch of the Northern Line). Bus: Any bus route including "Angel, Islington" will pass the building.
Buses to/from Barbican Centre and Angel From Aldersgate St (Barbican Tube Stn): #4, 56, 153 , or from City Road (Moorgate Tube Stn): # 43, 214 (or 153).
Pub afterwards[edit | edit source]
This will be The Shakespeare's Head, Arlinton Way, EC1. Google maps
Very close, c. 150 yards: out of The Angel Building, turn right. Take next right down Chadwell St. Take first left down Arlington Way, and you'll see the sign with Shakespeare's Head down on the right hand side. If coming direct from the centre or the Barbican it is directly behind Sadlers Wells Theatre on Rosebury Avenue.
Sign-up[edit | edit source]
Please also email me at John.Byrne at cancer.org.uk with your real name when signing-up, for the visitors badge. If there are any objections to using your real name, let me know. If I've added an asterix below, you don't need to do this.
- Wiki CRUK John (talk) 14:01, 8 July 2014 (UTC) *
- Blue Rasberry (talk) 19:18, 8 July 2014 (UTC) *
- James Heilman, MD (talk · contribs · email)(please leave replies on my talk page) 04:01, 9 July 2014 (UTC)*
- RexxS (talk) 20:02, 9 July 2014 (UTC)*
- Vini 175 (talk) 04:59, 10 July 2014 (UTC) *
- MistyMorn (talk) 12:32, 10 July 2014 (UTC) *
- —Teles «Talk to me˱M @ C S˲» 07:27, 12 July 2014 (UTC) *
- --Netha Hussain (talk) 09:50, 12 July 2014 (UTC) (I can't be fully sure of my attendance yet, but I will try my best to make it) *
- -- CFCF (talk) 08:56, 15 July 2014 (UTC) *
- Keilana (talk) 00:11, 17 July 2014 (UTC) *
- Anthonyhcole (talk) *
- West.andrew.g (talk) 21:39, 30 July 2014 (UTC) - Considering it; keep me in the loop *
- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 02:33, 2 August 2014 (UTC) *
- Shiningroad (talk)
- Hydra Rain (talk) 11:05, 7 August 2014 (UTC)
Please also email me at John.Byrne at cancer.org.uk with your real name when signing-up, for the visitors badge. If there are any objections to using your real name, let me know.
John Byrne Wikipedian in Residence, Press & Science Communications dept, Cancer Research UK Angel Building, 407 St John Street, London EC1V 4AD Direct line: 020 3469 5318
Also lunch meet-up?[edit | edit source]
It might be good to meet over lunch/coffee during the main conference programme. Say on Sunday? Or at the approved "Meetups" slot on Saturday, 7-8 pm.
[edit | edit source]
In the main conference programme, don't miss these (please add anything missing):
Medical[edit | edit source]
- 10 am, Frobisher 123. Submissions/Wikipedia and Medicine - Doc James Heilman and others
- 10.30 am?, outside Frobisher 123 Medical meetup.
- 5.30pm, Frobisher 456 Submissions/Medical information online; Wikipedia's place in the ecosystem
- 10:00am, Frobisher 456 Submissions/Open Knowledge and the National Institutes of Health of the United States
By medical editors[edit | edit source]
- 10:30am, Fountain Room Submissions/Marking open-access references cited on Wikipedia (with Daniel Mietchen; Malaria in focus)
- 12:30, Auditorium 1 Submissions/Reform of citation structure for all Wikimedia projects (Lane Rasberry chairs)
- 10:30am, Auditorium 1 Submissions/Open Access & Wikipedia: A Panel Discussion (with Daniel Mietchen)
- 10:30am, Frobisher 456 Submissions/The Full OA Stack - Open Access and Open Source (with Daniel Mietchen)
- 5.30 pm, Frobisher 456 Submissions/Face to face editing training: is it worth the effort? (John Byrne, Andrew Gray)