Submissions/Reform of citation structure for all Wikimedia projects
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2014.
- Submission no. 1114
- Title of the submission
- Reform of citation structure for all Wikimedia projects
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
various presenters - Lane Rasberry is contact for this
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- United States
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Moderator: Lane Rasberry - Consumer Reports
- Max Klein - Wikidata Sources Taskforce
- David Cuenca - Wikisource User Group
- Adam Becker - PLoS (Open Access Publisher)
- Megan Wacha - Research and Instruction Librarian for the Performing Arts at Barnard College of Columbia University
- James Forrester - Visual Editor
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
Wikipedia's legitimacy is underpinned by its citations, and yet long-standing problems with citations are yet to be fixed. Among some of the biggest issues are: the ease of inserting or modifying a citation, sharing citations between articles and between Wikipedias, and finding open access content to cite where possible.
Several Wikipedia citation reforms have been proposed in the past with mixed success. Starting in 2006 WikiScholar and Wikicite had the idea to create a sister project to hold citations for all Wikipedia language versions. While those have stalled for technical reasons, French Wikipedia long ago solved articles sharing citations.
New developments give us reason to believe that citation reform is more likely to succeed today. The introduction of Visual Editor could eliminate templating headaches. The maturing of Wikidata means Wikipedias can really share data. And the mainstream success of the Open Access Movement means more sources are free to read, and signal themselves as such. It is time to reassess how we handle citations at the Wikimedia level.
Our panel consists of domain experts from: the Publishing industry, Wikidata community, Library Science field, Open Access movement. Along with questions from the audience the panel covers the following topics:
- When translating text from one language Wikipedia to another, why is it so difficult to translate the citations? Are cross-language citations desirable?
- What is the role for Wikidata in managing references? Is Wikidata the right tool to hold citations.
- In Wikicode, where is the balance between presenting citation templates readable by Wikipedia editors versus making a reusable citation for the readers?
- What is the state of the Visual Editor's system for managing citations?
- What do we want to know about our citation usage? What difficulties arise when publishers such as academic journals seek to track citations on Wikimedia projects?
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 60 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Anthonyhcole (talk) 07:53, 24 March 2014 (UTC)
- James Heilman, MD (talk · contribs · email)(please leave replies on my talk page) 08:20, 24 March 2014 (UTC)
- Slashme (talk) 16:41, 25 March 2014 (UTC)
- Leutha (talk) 18:29, 25 March 2014 (UTC)
- Klortho (talk) 02:40, 27 March 2014 (UTC)
- DarTar (talk) 20:31, 28 March 2014 (UTC)
- Tpt (talk) 14:22, 30 March 2014 (UTC)
- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 13:24, 31 March 2014 (UTC)
- --Ziko (talk) 18:23, 31 March 2014 (UTC)
- Mikael Häggström (talk) 19:36, 31 March 2014 (UTC)
- Lawsonstu (talk) 19:55, 31 March 2014 (UTC)
- Jodi.a.schneider (talk) 20:04, 31 March 2014 (UTC)
- Smith609 (talk) 08:18, 1 April 2014 (UTC)
- Plani (talk) 20:05, 2 April 2014 (UTC)
- GorillaWarfare (talk) 22:12, 4 April 2014 (UTC)
- AdamBMorgan (talk) 23:57, 4 April 2014 (UTC)
- Ocaasi (talk) 01:51, 8 April 2014 (UTC)
- Micru (talk) 14:11, 15 April 2014 (UTC)
- Econterms (talk) 20:21, 17 April 2014 (UTC)
- Elitre (talk) 13:23, 20 April 2014 (UTC)
- — Scott • talk 01:48, 6 May 2014 (UTC)
- Mattsenate (talk) 22:34, 8 May 2014 (UTC)
- Mvolz (talk) 14:57, 24 May 2014 (UTC)
- --Gereon K. (talk) 13:56, 3 June 2014 (UTC)
- Santhosh.thottingal (talk) 14:46, 3 June 2014 (UTC)
- OR drohowa (talk) 21:09, 13 June 2014 (UTC)
- Shyamal (talk) 03:29, 14 June 2014 (UTC)
- Johnbod/Wiki CRUK John (talk) 10:27, 11 July 2014 (UTC)
- Ssastry (talk) 09:59, 31 July 2014 (UTC)
- Marcoil (WMF) (talk) 10:09, 31 July 2014 (UTC)
- Fixertool (talk) 09:44, 3 August 2014 (UTC)
- JSahleen (WMF) (talk) 13:21, 5 August 2014 (UTC)
- Jasper Deng (talk) 22:59, 7 August 2014 (UTC)