Submissions/Wikipedia and Medicine
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2014.
- Submission no. 3053
- Title of the submission
- Wikipedia and Medicine
- Type of submission
- Author of the submission
- James Heilman
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Wikiproject Med Foundation
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
Wikipedia is the single most used health resource in the world. Like much of Wikipedia; however, it is not as good as it could or should be. A group of editor at WPMED and Wiki Project Med Foundation are working to try to improve things. The presentation will discuss our efforts including:
- Translating high quality content into as many other languages as possible in collaboration with Translators Without Borders. Currently working in around 60 languages and have translated more than 3 million words of text. How we are addressing the fact that different languages have different readership and one version does not fit all.
- Collaborating with other evidence based medical organizations including the Cochrane Collaboration, the National Institute of Health and Cancer Research UK
- Collaborating with the University of California San Francisco College of Medicine. Have run two pilot 4 week 4th year medical student electives.
- While we have a clear idea what people are looking at in English. What does medical viewership look like in other languages? A discussion of new data from Wikipedia's other 286 languages.
- How we are dealing with conflict of interest editing.
- WikiCulture & Community or GLAM Outreach or Education Outreach
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 60 Minutes (NB 30 minutes on programme now)
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- The slides of the presentation can be viewed here 
- Also see the meetup-event on Thursday - Pre-Conference: Medical Wikipedians
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Lianochetta (talk) 16:07, 6 February 2014 (UTC)
- Jfdwolff (talk) 09:56, 26 January 2014 (UTC)
- Manum56 (talk) 10:03, 26 January 2014 (UTC)
- Ocaasi (talk) 11:46, 26 January 2014 (UTC)
- Blue Rasberry (talk) 19:33, 26 January 2014 (UTC)
- Anthonyhcole (talk) 18:10, 27 January 2014 (UTC)
- West.andrew.g (talk) 20:10, 27 January 2014 (UTC)
- Hildabast (talk) 12:00, 29 January 2014 (UTC)
- Johnbod (= Wiki CRUK John (talk) 01:52, 12 February 2014 (UTC)
- Evan-Amos (talk) 01:38, 16 February 2014 (UTC)
- Gustavocarra (talk) 18:29, 22 February 2014 (UTC)
- Vini 175 (talk) 01:50, 24 February 2014 (UTC)
- YWelinder (WMF) (talk) 05:44, 1 March 2014 (UTC)
- Frank Schulenburg (talk) 19:22, 19 March 2014 (UTC)
- Slashme (talk) 08:40, 22 March 2014 (UTC)
- AbhiSuryawanshi (talk) 15:55, 28 March 2014 (UTC)
- LiAnna (Wiki Ed) (talk) 22:47, 10 April 2014 (UTC)
- FloNight (talk) 16:23, 15 April 2014 (UTC)
- --Netha Hussain (talk) 09:52, 12 July 2014 (UTC)
- MistyMorn (talk) 18:30, 19 July 2014 (UTC)
- Tomjpollard (talk) 11:31, 21 July 2014 (UTC)
- Kuebi (talk) 13:09, 5 August 2014 (UTC)