Submissions/Medical information online; Wikipedia's place in the ecosystem
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2014.
- Submission no. 2026
SATURDAY 5.30pm, Frobisher 456
- Title of the submission
- Medical information online; Wikipedia's place in the ecosystem
- VIDEO on you Tube: from 1:03:20 here
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- panel and discussion
- Author of the submission
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
- Wikipedia is one of the leading online sources of medical information, and as an encyclopedia our medical content is used by a wide range of groups, including patients, those with a general interest, medical professionals, and students. How is, and how should, Wikipedia's coverage be different from that of other major online medical sources, many aimed primarily at patients? A panel including medical Wikipedians and people from other major medical websites discuss the issues. We will also talk a little about research planned by Cancer Research UK, one of the UK's largest charities, whose new Wikipedian-in-Residence is John Byrne/Johnbod.
The panel will be:
- James Heilman (Jmh649]/Doc James) MD, CCFP-EM, Clinical Faculty member of the Department of Emergency Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of British Columbia (Clinical Instructor)
- Henry Potts, Senior Lecturer, Centre for Health Informatics and Multiprofessional Education (CHIME), UCL Institute of Epidemiology & Health Care (Bondesgesou)
- Henry Scowcroft (HenryScow) Cancer Research UK's news and multimedia manager.
- Chair: John Byrne (Johnbod), now the Cancer Research UK Wikipedian-in-Residence (as Wiki CRUK John).
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- PROBABLY NOT
- Also see the meetup-event on Thursday - Pre-Conference: Medical Wikipedians
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- MartinPoulter (talk) 12:38, 7 April 2014 (UTC)
- Ocaasi (talk) 23:33, 7 April 2014 (UTC)
- James Heilman, MD (talk · contribs · email)(please leave replies on my talk page) 15:22, 19 April 2014 (UTC)
- --Netha Hussain (talk) 09:52, 12 July 2014 (UTC)
- Keilana (talk) 18:32, 16 July 2014 (UTC)
- MistyMorn (talk) 18:29, 19 July 2014 (UTC)
- Bondegezou (talk) 16:27, 22 July 2014 (UTC)
- Anthonyhcole (talk) 11:19, 30 July 2014 (UTC)
- Hydra Rain (talk) 09:50, 5 August 2014 (UTC)
- Add your username here.