Submissions/Open Knowledge and the National Institutes of Health of the United States
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2014.
This session will take place at 10:00am on Sunday, August 10, in Frobisher 456.
- Submission no. 6011
- Title of the submission
Open Knowledge and the National Institutes of Health of the United States
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
- Daniel Mietchen
- E-mail address
- Daniel Mietchen
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- WikiProject NIH, Museum für Naturkunde Berlin
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
The National Institutes of Health (NIH) are one of the largest research infrastructures in the world, and the research facilities it operates are amongst the most renowned ones in their respective subfields of biomedical research.
Open communities like Wikimedia projects interact with the NIH in multiple ways - primarily on the level of content, software and data but also in terms of edit-a-thons, WikiProject NIH and other community activities. The aim of this session is to explore the potential for the NIH and the open communities to work together to share health-related information and infrastructures openly at high quality and in high quantities to a global audience.
To this end, Phil Bourne - the NIH's Associate Director for Data Science - will give an introductory talk about open aspects of research-related workflows at NIH, and members of WikiProject NIH will then complement that with examples of existing or potential interactions on that basis.
- Open Scholarship
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- Could be turned into a "hot seat session" with some guidance as to what that format is supposed to be like.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- The NIH is internationally influential. This talk should happen. Blue Rasberry (talk) 22:24, 7 April 2014 (UTC)
- Ocaasi (talk) 23:37, 7 April 2014 (UTC)
- Djembayz (talk) 12:40, 18 April 2014 (UTC)
- Wiki CRUK John (talk) 09:49, 5 August 2014 (UTC)
- Add your username here.