Wikimania Fringe May – July 2014
The Wikimania Fringe includes
- Events by the Wikimania team before or after the main programme
- Events created by Wikimedian community members (why not propose your own?)
- Related events in the open knowledge movement
- 1 Pre-conference
- 2 During the conference
- 2.1 Education Pre-Conference
- 2.2 Volunteer Support Workshop
- 2.3 Medical Wikipedians
- 2.4 Wikimedia Boards Governance workshop
- 2.5 Train the Trainers workshop
- 2.6 Wikimania Volunteer meet-ups
- 2.7 Meetups during the conference
- 2.8 OpenStreetMap 10th Birthday Party
- 2.9 England and Wales Vs Rest of the World Pop Up Cricket March
- 2.10 Digital Revolution
- 3 Post conference
A series of informal two-day events where you can discuss and co-work on anything to do with Wikimedia, open knowledge, or the upcoming conference itself. A great chance to learn from experts and develop your own projects with the help of others. They will be held in the same venue as Wikimania itself, The Barbican Centre, and are organised by the Wikimania team, who will be present at each event.
11–13 July Pre-Wikimania meetup Berlin
Throughout the country, Wikimedia UK is working with universities, museums and other organisations to raise issues of interest to Open Knowledge and to enable editors from all sectors to address these issues through editing Wikipedia.
|22 May||Women in Science Wikipedia Edit-a-thon at the University of Manchester|
|29 May||The DNADigest Wikipedia Editathon. All welcome hosted in WayraEuston London, DNAdigest Editathon Wikimedia Page|
Visiting from abroad and keen to explore London, or want to walk with some Wikimedians? Join or propose a London Walk!
- Saturday 9th August: The Barbican Highwalk REDUX 19:30 BST (18:30 GMT) starting from Barbican Lakeside.
Local Wikimedia meet-ups
The Wikimedia community have a regular social meetups in many parts of the country, usually in pubs or cafés.
The London pub meet-up happens on the second Sunday of every month, and in the run up to the conference this will be no different! There is one Meet up left before Wikimania.
In the coming weeks there are also meet-ups in:
If there isn't a meet near you, then organise one and let people know! Contact Chris McKenna if you want assistance.
- Computational Intelligence Unconference UK 2014: − 26th July 2014 − London, UK − ciunconference.org − Bringing people together to talk about Computational Intelligence and Intelligent Systems.
- Open Knowledge Festival: − 15–17 July 2014 − Berlin, Germany − 2014.okfestival.org − Celebrating the 10th anniversary of Open Knowledge (formerly the Open Knowledge Foundation).
During the conference
6–7 August Education Pre-Conference
Volunteer Support Workshop
7 August Pre-conference: Volunteer Support
7 August 3.30-5.30 pm Pre-Conference: Medical Wikipedians, Angel Islington, 1.5 miles from the conference centre
Wikimedia Boards Governance workshop
7 August: Wikimedia UK hosted a training workshop for members of boards of movement organisations
Train the Trainers workshop
4-5 August: Wikimedia UK Train the Trainers workshop
Wikimania Volunteer meet-ups
There will be quite a few events for Wikimania Volunteers in the run up to the conference, some casual fun meet-ups, some more serious planning events. If you'd like to get in on this action, fill in the Volunteers form, and you'll be invited!
- There will be a meeting for all those who are going to collaborate in the video production on-site in London and those who help from their homes. The date will be 12 (or 13) July at the Wikimedia headquarters in Berlin. Please put your name and preferences in Videos#Video production.
- If you are interested in helping with the Wikimania Social team, which refers to itself as #wikimaniasocial on twitter, they will have a meeting on Monday, July 28, at Barbican. You can contact Naureen Nayyar if you have a desire to help online even if you are not attending the conference.
Meetups during the conference
Want to organise an informal meetup with other delegates in the conference venue during the conference itself? Meetups
OpenStreetMap 10th Birthday Party
9th Aug OpenStreetMap 10th Birthday Party at the Artillery Arms pub from 3pm until late (One possible evening activity after the conference on the Saturday)
England and Wales Vs Rest of the World Pop Up Cricket March
In order to share some of the joy of this wonderful sport we will be organising a pop-up rapid Cricket Match at Wikimania. We have decided not to make this a five day match as per tradition but to hold a rather shorter one (possibly thirty minutes) outside the Barbican on the Saturday evening. We are looking for volunteers to demonstrate the art of this noble pastime. According to the MCC this is a game played by eleven a side, we may be more flexible. Not to be confused with French Cricket Sign up here
From 8-10 August, delegates will be able to purchase tickets to Digital Revolution for £8 (rather than the usual £12.50) by showing their delegate pass at the ticket desk.
- editathon at the zoological society London 12th August
- OpenSym 2014: 27–29 August 2014 − Berlin, Germany − www.opensym.org − An annual conference series dedicated to open collaboration research and practice.