Submissions/Wikipedia Goes Viral: Experiments in Social Media
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2014.
- Submission no. 1103
- Title of the submission
Wikipedia Goes Viral: Experiments in Social Media
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
Siko Bouterse, Addis Wang, Jake Orlowitz, Netha Hussain, Ivan Martinez
Ivan Martínez (User:ProtoplasmaKid)
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
United States, China, India, Mexico
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
There are many social media accounts used for promoting Wikipedia or other Wikimedia projects on Twitter, Facebook, and other platforms - some of these foster active collaborations, some attract just a few followers. When and why might you want to use social media to advance your community project? What makes for a successful social media account?
We've been experimenting with social media to engage communities and peoples outside of Wikipedia in various ways over the past few years. In this panel we'll share some outcomes from these experiments, what we've learned, and some common strategies and challenges. Please bring your questions too - we'd love to discuss why and when you might want to consider running your own social media experiments!
- Addis Wang: coordinator of an account on weibo.com, a popular Chinese social media website, for Chinese Wikipedia
- Jake Orlowitz: coordinator of an account on Twitter for The Wikipedia Library
- Netha Hussain: content creator for the WikiWomen's Collaborative on Facebook, and active contributor to WikiWomen's Collaborative India.
- Ivan Martinez: coordinator of accounts for Wikimedia Mexico, Wiki Loves Monuments Mexico, Wikimania 2015, Spanish Wikinews and beyond.
The panel will be moderated by Siko Bouterse, who has supported many of these projects as a grantmaker at the Wikimedia Foundation.
- WikiCulture & Community
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- with 3 panelists and discussion expected, 45 minutes would be better, but we can do 30 minutes if needed.
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
Yes, though some panel participants are awaiting scholarship acceptance.
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Keilana (talk)
- Gnom (talk) 19:26, 20 March 2014 (UTC)
- Slashme (talk) 08:39, 22 March 2014 (UTC)
- Ziko (talk) 18:52, 31 March 2014 (UTC)
- Fantasticfears (talk) 14:16, 7 April 2014 (UTC)
- the wub "?!" 23:11, 13 April 2014 (UTC)
- Chuq (talk) 22:51, 14 April 2014 (UTC)
- Varnent (talk) 19:31, 19 April 2014 (UTC)
- Karthikndr (talk) 16:16, 13 July 2014 (UTC)
- --アンタナナ 15:28, 22 July 2014 (UTC)
- Sabbon (talk) 21:08, 26 July 2014 (UTC)
- --Stefan »Στέφανος« ‽ 16:26, 30 July 2014 (UTC)
- Promelior (talk) 14:08, 31 July 2014 (UTC)
- --ProtoplasmaKid (talk) 06:01, 1 August 2014 (UTC)
- DarTar (talk) 13:58, 4 August 2014 (UTC) (presenting on a related topic)
- --Another Believer (talk) 08:43, 9 August 2014 (UTC)