Submissions/Image by Wikipedia
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2014.
- Submission no. 8510
- Title of the submission
- Image by Wikipedia
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
- Jonas Öberg
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Commons Machinery, Shuttleworth Foundation, Free Software Foundation Europe
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
Imagine if you could go anywhere online and see the license and credit of any image you so choose. With the click of a button, you could see who created an image, where it's been published before, what license terms are associated with it, where you can find other copies or mashups of it, and where you can buy a signed print from the creator.
Providing proper attribution for images is the key to making that happen. Unfortunately, it's not unusual for images and other material from Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons to find their way into newspapers or other publications with less than stellar attributions. "Image by Wikipedia" or just "Image from Internet" is a common attribution to find. Creative Commons and other open licenses have made it simple to license images for everyone's free use, but using images licensed in such a way requires proper attribution and this has proven to be quite difficult.
In this session, we invite participants to a discussion about the relevance of attribution, the possibilities that proper attributions offers, and how contributors to Wikipedia (and Wikipedia itself!) want to be attributed when images and other materials are re-used. The session will also give examples of how the world would look if we could automate the process of attribution, demonstrate some of the tools that already exist for automatic attribution (as well as the limitations of current technologies) and lay out how Wikipedia could help people move from "Image by Wikipedia" to something more relevant.
- GLAM, Technology, Interface & Infrastructure
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Slashme (talk) 09:03, 22 March 2014 (UTC)
- Greg G (talk) 17:58, 31 March 2014 (UTC)
- --Nickispeaki (talk) 22:52, 31 March 2014 (UTC)
- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 22:36, 5 April 2014 (UTC)
- the wub "?!" 00:15, 14 April 2014 (UTC)
- Marcio De Assis (talk) 22:32, 18 June 2014 (UTC)
- Wuselig (talk) 21:48, 14 July 2014 (UTC)
- MLWatts (talk) 19:44, 27 July 2014 (UTC)
- Daniel Case (talk) 01:28, 30 July 2014 (UTC)
- --Stefan »Στέφανος« ‽ 16:24, 30 July 2014 (UTC)
- Add your username here.