Our conference is themed around outreach, and the key to good outreach is targeting. We've identified the following communities as ones with heavy overlap with ours:
- Outreach/Digital Collaboration - public page here: Themes/Digital Collaboration
- Outreach/Future of Education - public page here: Themes/Future of Education
- Outreach/Free culture - public page here: Themes/Free Culture
- Outreach/Open data - public page here: Themes/Open Data
- Outreach/Open scholarship - public page here: Themes/Open Scholarship
For each community, we must:
- Identify the main areas of activity within that community and their key influencers.
- Research the relevant Wikimedian initiatives and their key influencers.
- Familiarise each community with the others' initiatives using the platform of Wikimania 2014 as a hook.
- Encourage them to collaborate on some activity that activates their communities and spreads awareness of each others’ initiatives and Wikimania 2014.
- Invite them to make a submission for a presentation for Wikimania 2014.
- Aid them in promoting Wikimania 2014 to their followers as the event approaches.
- Write non-wikimedian friendly landing pages (Themes) for each community that explain wikimedia's relevance to that area.
Channels for publicity.
We are running a series of Outreach Hackathons in the months preceding the event.
We would like to produce Project Booklets for the event to help people find out about various projects within wikimedia!