Submissions/Penetrate wikipedia to rural area
After careful consideration, the Programme Committee has decided not to accept the below submission at this time. Thank you to the author(s) for participating in the Wikimania 2014 programme submission, we hope to still see you at Wikimania this August.
- Submission no. 3021
- Title of the submission
- Penetrate wikipedia to rural area
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Presentation and discussion
- Author of the submission
- Santosh Shingare
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Research Assitant at Indian Institute of Technology Bombay
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
The presentation will be consisting of our plan for penetrating to Rural areas with present technologies and increase awareness,usage of Wikipedia among rural school students as well as teachers. We intend to transmit reading of articles of wikipedia over local F.M or community radio,where every day one new Wikipedia Article will be read out in local language.
Our plan is to distribute CDs of Wikipedia contents in local languages to all rural school and educate teachers and students regarding usage of Wikipedia for gathering/collecting information regarding there studies which will help them in exploring the current updates,trends in the said subject.Also they will get knowledge of using wikipedia and which is full of opportunities,knowledge.Todays world of informatics and digital era,rural children are left out of the revolution where electronic data is power Wikipedia can become bridge between rural area and outside world.
Next stage will be enabling them to edit contents,add their inputs for their choice of subject and create a active contributors for Wikipedia through these rural students.
Presentation focus on following point:
1) The idea is Teachers and student learning how Wikipedia will help to them, and how they can contribute for Wikipedia.
2) Importance of Wikipedia and technology, special lecture in week a twice.
3) People who speak it are not familiar with technology and how children can be the perfect bridge between knowledge and computer abilities.
4) Our Journey from problem to implementation.
5) The importance of local radio which is read out one new Wikipedia Article in local language.
6) The importance of Teachers and children they can edit, how they contribute for Wikipedia.
- Education Outreach
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).