This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2014.
- Submission no. 8505
- Title of the submission
- Multimedia Roundtable
- Date / Time
- Sunday, 10 August at 11:30 GMT+1 (120 minutes) - Boardroom
- Type of submission
- Author of the submission
- Fabrice Florin
- E-mail address
- Fabrice Florin (WMF)
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Foundation
- Personal homepage or blog
- Multimedia team page
This special roundtable workshop will invite community members to discuss new media tools under development by the Wikimedia Foundation's multimedia team.
It will be based on the same successful format we used in last year’s Wikimania, when our team collaborated with community volunteers to evaluate new product ideas and plan our next steps together. See last year's roundtable report, slides and video of this very productive session.
In last year's roundtables, we identified a number of tools that seem important for improving the user experience and technical infrastructure:
In this roundtable, we will focus on some of these projects, brainstorm them in small groups, then review them as a large group to outline the most important tasks, as well as collectively refine our multimedia plans and overall vision. (New planning page coming soon, based on this recent project review meeting.)
This creative workshop will be hosted by WMF’s multimedia team, with the active participation of a couple dozen community members.
- Fabrice Florin (product manager/facilitator)
- Gilles Dubuc (senior engineer)
- Gergő Tisza (back-end engineer)
- Pau Giner (interactive designer)
We hope to engage up to two dozen community members familiar with multimedia tools and workflows — and a dozen WMF team members to collaborate in this creative workshop and guided discussion.
We welcome your suggestions for making this roundtable discussion as effective as possible. Please add your comments on this discussion page -- or email fflorinwikimedia.org with your recommendations.
- Technology, Interface & Infrastructure
- Length of session
- 120 minutes
See also these related sessions on Friday:
- Multimedia Overview - with the Multimedia Team - Fri. Aug. 8, 11:30 GMT
- The State (and Fate) of Video in Wikimedia - with Andrew Lih and Fabrice Florin - Fri. Aug. 8, 12:00 GMT
- Freedom in motion: the state of open video and audio at Wikimedia - with Brion Vibber - Fri. Aug. 8, 12:30 GMT
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- see last year's slides and videos -- new slides coming soon
- Special requests
- We would like a room where tables and chairs can be re-arranged into a circle, with several whiteboards and/or easel notepads, in addition to a standard projector. This is intended to be a collaborative session, where up to a couple dozen participants can brainstorm ideas together in small groups, then discuss them with the larger group, as well as demo examples on the projector.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).