Submissions/The State (and Fate) of Video in Wikimedia
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2014.
- Submission no. 5058
- Title of the submission
- The State (and Fate) of Video in Wikimedia
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
- Andrew Lih (User:Fuzheado), Fabrice Florin (User:Fabrice Florin (WMF))
- E-mail address
- User:Fuzheado, User:Fabrice Florin (WMF)
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- American University, Wikimedia Foundation
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
In a recent examination of English Wikipedia, we've discovered only about 0.1% of its articles have video content. While Wikipedia's text content has consistently improved and benefitted from significant new Mediawiki features, and photo content in Wikimedia Commons is often professional quality, video has been well behind. We examine the multiple factors for this, and examine the fate of video efforts in the project.
- What are videos for in Wikipedia? Discuss the articles that contain the majority of videos today, and identify categories ripe for video content, such as human movement, sport, dance, sign language
- Measuring video use in Wikimedia projects.
- State of open video standards - Overview of Ogg Theora and WebM
- Challenges in viewing, producing and uploading - A discussion of what devices can and cannot view Commons video today, why your iOS device can't view video, and the efforts needed to produce, edit and upload video
- Recent RFC on using MPEG-4 - Describe the outcome of the January 2014 RFC on video standards adoption, and the contentious nature of using patent encumbered formats like MPEG-4
- Alternatives to direct MPEG-4 support - What are some alternatives to direct MPEG-4 upload?
- Wiki Makes Video, User:Jgmikulay class other video efforts - A rundown of some video creation efforts in the Wikimedia space
- Future of video production - A prognosis for possible directions going forward
We will also discuss a couple initiatives under consideration to improve video support on Wikimedia sites, including:
- Show Videos in Media Viewer (see first mockups to the right)
- Upload Videos from Internet Archive
We would love to get feedback about these proposed improvements, which are being considered as a collaboration between the Wikimedia community and foundation team members.
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 18:51, 31 March 2014 (UTC)
- Jgmikulay (talk) 02:32, 2 April 2014 (UTC)
- Ocaasi (talk) 01:40, 8 April 2014 (UTC)
- --80686 (talk) 09:45, 10 April 2014 (UTC)
- Quiddity (talk) 21:19, 12 April 2014 (UTC)
- Djembayz (talk) 12:50, 18 April 2014 (UTC)
- .js (talk) 18:03, 19 April 2014 (UTC)
- --Vgrass (talk) 12:53, 12 July 2014 (UTC)
- 85jesse (talk) 07:13, 28 July 2014 (UTC)
- Tgr (WMF) (talk) 21:10, 29 July 2014 (UTC)
- Daniel Case (talk) 01:31, 30 July 2014 (UTC)
- Birgit Müller (WMDE) (talk) 12:51, 4 August 2014 (UTC)
- Saraanine (talk) 07:42, 7 August 2014 (UTC)