This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2014.
- Submission no. 5025
- Title of the submission
- Interface Vision
- Type of submission
- Author of the submission
- Jared Zimmernan
- E-mail address
- Jaredzimmerman (WMF)
- Country of origin
- United States of America
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Foundation
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
Many say that Wikimedia sites never change. If you dig deep enough, you’ll find that this sentiment comes mostly from readers who haven’t created account, logged in, or tried to edit the encyclopedia. That is 99.98% of our users. Their opinion counts, and whether it is true or not, it informs how the internet and general public see the project.
This impression is largely incorrect. Change in the projects is slow and gradual. We don’t see the tree growing day by day but we do see the fruit it produces at harvest time.
The user experience team is working on many small and large improvements to the site that benefit readers and editors alike. While you may be familiar with the projects like Flow and VisualEditor, these improvements are targeted at existing contributors and not designed to create a better experience for readers.
The user experience team has lots of changes planned that will help elevate the projects to greatness. Changes that will surface content across projects, provide easier access to new and existing contributory features, and help to highlight our best asset: our editor community.
We’ll utilize Beta Features extensively to accomplish this goal both to manage change and to give our community a greater voice in the design and product development process.
We’ll show you how all of these components come together to create an amazing experience for everyone who reads and contributes to our projects, highlights existing work and features that have existed for years, and leverages the amazing content present but not linked between wikis.
- Technology, Interface & Infrastructure
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30-60 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Will provide
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Martin Kraus (talk) 21:52, 29 March 2014 (UTC)
- Jooojay (talk) 06:43, 31 March 2014 (UTC)
- YWelinder (WMF) (talk) 05:37, 1 April 2014 (UTC)
- Jarry1250 (talk) 10:13, 1 April 2014 (UTC)
- MGalloway (WMF) (talk) 23:34, 1 April 2014 (UTC)
- KHammerstein (WMF) (talk) 23:37, 1 April 2014 (UTC)
- Quiddity (talk) 19:59, 12 April 2014 (UTC)
- the wub "?!" 23:37, 13 April 2014 (UTC)
- Micru (talk) 19:55, 14 April 2014 (UTC)
- Valhallasw (talk) 19:17, 1 June 2014 (UTC)
- Susannaanas (talk) 09:01, 4 June 2014 (UTC)
- Ad Huikeshoven (talk) 17:53, 15 July 2014 (UTC)
- Borys Kozielski (talk) 16:52, 23 July 2014 (UTC)
- Tar Lócesilion (talk) 15:23, 4 August 2014 (UTC)
- Sshhiivv (talk) 16:02, 4 August 2014 (UTC)
- Vignesh (talk) 12:25, 8 August 2014 (UTC)
- Your name here