Submissions/Wikisource technical infrastructure: what we have done and what we could do
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2014.
- Submission no. 5055
- Title of the submission
- Wikisource technical infrastructure: what we have done and what we could do?
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Wikisource Community User Group
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
Since the creation of the Proofread Page extension by ThomasV in 2007, the Wikisource community is used to improve its technical infrastructure in order to help the creation of "the free library that anyone can improve". In the past two years, important works have been done by volunteers contributors, like the creation of Wsexport (an ePub export tool that fits Wikisource needs) or diverse tools to upload book scans to Wikimedia Commons. Some others have been done with the help of the Google Summer of Code, like a strong refactoring of the ProofreadPage extension and the creation of the BookManager extension. This presentation will summary what have been done and close with a short presentation of current and possible future projects.
Topic covered will include:
- Past projects: Wsexport, the refactoring of the ProofreadPage extension and its new Page: pages edit interface, Wikidata integration with the creation of the "other projects" sidebar and the creation of a tool to upload Internet Archive files to Wikimedia Commons…
- Current work: creation of the BookManager extension.
- Possible future projects: Adaptation of the VisualEditor to Wikisource needs, creation of a tool to import scans from various repositories like Google Books to InternetArchive as a first step before upload to Wikimedia commons…
- Technology, Interface & Infrastructure
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 15 minutes (including 5 minutes of questions)
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Yes (Tpt)
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- MartinPoulter (talk) 16:47, 29 March 2014 (UTC)
- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 19:58, 31 March 2014 (UTC)
- TheDJ (talk) 16:48, 4 April 2014 (UTC)
- AdamBMorgan (talk) 23:58, 4 April 2014 (UTC)
- Quiddity (talk) 22:54, 12 April 2014 (UTC)
- Micru (talk) 19:43, 14 April 2014 (UTC)
- Xelgen (talk) 15:47, 29 April 2014 (UTC)
- Aschroet (talk) 12:51, 12 May 2014 (UTC)
- --Хомелка (talk) 09:56, 1 June 2014 (UTC)
- Sshhiivv (talk) 22:25, 4 August 2014 (UTC)
- VIGNERON (talk) 09:27, 6 August 2014 (UTC)
- Legoktm (talk) 09:36, 9 August 2014 (UTC)
- Add your username here.