Submissions/Wikipedia Education Cooperative Panel
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2014.
- Submission no. 3043
- Title of the submission
- Wikipedia Education Collaborative Panel
- Type of submission
- Author of the submission
- (Leigh) Thelmadatter
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Wikipedia Education Cooperative
- Panel participants
- Shani Evenstein - Israel
- Toni Sant - UK
- Floor Koudijs - WMF
- LiAnna Davis - Wiki Ed Foundation
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
Since 2006, education initiatives have occurred at various times in the Wikimedia movement, from early efforts in Serbia, to Foundation sponsored initiatives in the United States, India, Brazil and the Middle East and chapter-based programs. All of these efforts have seen their share of successes and challenges and the need has become apparent for an easier and more systematic way to share experiences and knowledge.
In March 2014, representatives from education initiatives and the Global Education Team from the Foundation met to begin a process of refocusing Wikipedia in Education. The fourteen attendees were from various parts of the globe including Nepal, the U.S., Ukraine, the Czech Republic, Israel, the U.K., Serbia, Canada, the Arab World and Mexico. The goal was to bring together the experience of varied efforts related to having students and educators collaborate with Wikipedia and brainstorm how best to expand efforts.
The result is the creation of a cooperative dedicated to identifying and supporting the over 60 education initiatives now going on in the Wikimedia community. The purpose of this panel presentation is to report our activities and progress to the wider community as well as solicit feedback from the same as to the future of education activities. Areas of focus include communications, global recognition for programs and participants, resources and mentoring, with action items including a revamp of the education portal on outreach wiki, a unified newsletter, interviews of program leaders to determine needs for mentoring programs, and a survey of the education community to help define a means of giving education programs greater recognition. The panel will consist of five representatives from the cooperative to present a wide range of views from the global to those with boots on the ground.
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 60 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- The five on the panel will partially depend on who is able to attend Wikimania of the 18 members
- Slides or further information (optional)
Slides for the Wikipedia Education Collaborative panel session at Wikimania
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- --Frank Schulenburg (talk) 19:22, 19 March 2014 (UTC)
- MartinPoulter (talk) 16:46, 29 March 2014 (UTC)
- Martin Kraus (talk) 21:30, 29 March 2014 (UTC)
- Oona Castro (talk) 04:43, 31 March 2014 (UTC)
- Jami (Wiki Ed) (talk) 16:57, 31 March 2014 (UTC)
- Tflanagan (WMF) (talk) 03:40, 1 April 2014 (UTC)
- Toni Sant (WMUK) (talk) 07:23, 1 April 2014 (UTC)
- MichaelMaggs (talk) 07:35, 1 April 2014 (UTC)
- Daria Cybulska (WMUK) (talk) 08:03, 1 April 2014 (UTC)
- Paolaricaurte (talk) 21:42, 1 April 2014 (UTC)
- LiAnna (Wiki Ed) (talk) 22:05, 1 April 2014 (UTC)
- FKoudijs (WMF) (talk) 20:35, 9 April 2014 (UTC)
- Ad Huikeshoven (talk) 10:44, 6 May 2014 (UTC)
- Anna Koval (WMF) (talk) 17:21, 10 June 2014 (UTC)
- Sabbon (talk) 21:53, 26 July 2014 (UTC)
- Marinna (talk) 12:50, 6 August 2014 (UTC)
- Unhkd (talk) 12:54, 6 August 2014 (UTC)
- Saraanine (talk) 07:53, 7 August 2014 (UTC)
- NickK (talk) 23:49, 7 August 2014 (UTC)
- لا روسا (talk) 14:10, 8 August 2014 (UTC)
- Add your username here.