Submissions/Wikimedia and the Natural History Museum, London
After careful consideration, the Programme Committee has decided not to accept the below submission at this time. Thank you to the author(s) for participating in the Wikimania 2014 programme submission, we hope to still see you at Wikimania this August.
- Submission no. 2050
- Title of the submission
Wikimedia and the Natural History Museum, London
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
Presentation and discussion
- Author of the submission
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
A joint presentation by Laurence Livermore Digital Analyst, Biodiversity Informatics at the Natural History Museum and John Cummings Wikimedian in Residence, Natural History Museum.
A presentation on the outcomes of the Wikimedian in Residence programs and looking at what can be done in the future with the Natural History Museum. The main topic will be the Natural History Museum’s decision to make 20 million images over the next 5 years available under an open license, how this will relate to Wikimedia projects, transferring these images from a CKAN data portal to Wikimedia Commons and transcription of labels for specimens. We will also look at the creation of a prototype multilingual virtual museum using QRpedia in a new way to give the 2.5 million visitors per year who don’t speak English as a first language information about the specimens and topics within the museum.
- GLAM Outreach
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Natural History Museum and Science Museum Wikimedian in Residence GLAM page
- Pdf of Museum Trustees meeting outlining the open licensing agreement
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- PatHadley (talk) 12:24, 4 April 2014 (UTC)
- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 22:37, 5 April 2014 (UTC)
- MartinPoulter (talk) 12:39, 7 April 2014 (UTC)
- Mary Mark Ockerbloom (talk) 19:22, 22 April 2014 (UTC)
- Daria Cybulska (WMUK) (talk) 12:24, 25 April 2014 (UTC)
- Smirkybec (talk) 21:09, 7 May 2014 (UTC)
- Add your username here.