Submissions/Where's the T in Wikimedia Diversity
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2014.
- Submission no. 1095
- Title of the submission
Where's the T in Wikimedia Diversity
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
When the Wikimedia community talks about diversity issues, a lot of thoughts and bits are given to the low proportion of female editors, global south and attitudes towards lesbian, gay and bisexual editors and article subjects. What is often not addressed are transgender issues, how they affect those of our editors that are concerned by these issues, and whether our approach towards transgender issues and subjects on our projects involve appropriate sensitivities. When transgender related discussions do occur, many of the participants often demonstrate a critical lack of understanding of the issues involved.
An introduction presentation on this topic was first delivered during the Wikimedia Diversity Conference. This presentation will expand on the topic going into further depth into how Wikimedia projects, in particular the English Wikipedia, Wikidata and Wikimedia Commons, cover transgender or gender nonconforming related subjects. We will discuss the effect such coverage has on transgender and gender nonconforming people and their allies, and whether Wikimedia events are appropriately accommodating to the needs of those affected. Finally, we will discuss possible initiatives to improve Wikimedia movement treatment of this area.
- WikiCulture & Community
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- GorillaWarfare (talk) 22:30, 4 April 2014 (UTC)
- OwenBlacker (talk) 18:59, 6 April 2014 (UTC)
- Where is the T? Blue Rasberry (talk) 23:20, 7 April 2014 (UTC)
- SarahStierch (talk) 17:54, 13 April 2014 (UTC)
- Micru (talk) 14:13, 15 April 2014 (UTC)
- --Another Believer (talk) 18:15, 6 May 2014 (UTC) (Also wondering if there is a general presentation about the results of the Wikimedia Diversity Conference?)
- Alice d25 (talk) 22:07, 18 May 2014 (UTC)
- Léna (talk) 12:38, 24 June 2014 (UTC) Looking forward :)
- Valentin Muenscher (WMDE) (talk) 09:12, 15 July 2014 (UTC)
- --Mssemantics (talk) 04:46, 4 August 2014 (UTC)
- Add your username here.