Submissions/We are all User X
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2014.
- Submission no. 1092
- Title of the submission
- We are all User X
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
- Konstantinos Stampoulis - geraki
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Wikimedia User Group Greece + OKFN Greece
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
The subject of the presentation will be the reaction of the community of el.wikipedia (greek) about the legal action against a wikipedia user.
Background: A greek academic teacher and politician several years ago did not like that the article about him mentioned that his then father-in-law and Prime Minister of Greece Andreas Papandreou wrote in his will that the article's subject was "a disgrace for his family". Something that was cited to several newspapers and even a book. After some cease-and-desist letters and having managed to find out the real name of the contributor who was the first to put this information in the article, he filed a class action against of him, demanding "200.000 euros and 1 year in jail". In February 2014 the politician Mr. Katsanevas attempted to obtain a preliminary injunction ordering Diu to remove the statements from the Wikipedia article. In the meantime, the Court issued a pre-preliminary injunction, ordering the wikipedia user to provisionally remove the reference to the will, until the March 11th hearing. WMF has given assistance to the user through the Legal Fees Assistance Program. 
The presentation will focus on the feelings and reaction of the wikipedia community before and after the announcement of the legal action against one of its users (who had acted on good faith and following all wikipedia policies):
- Timing of reaction
- Methods of reaction: banners, landing page, signatures of supporters, questions risen.
- Outreach: spreading the community opinion to the social media and mass media.
- Reaction of the global wikipedia community (streisand effect)
- Reaction of the Wikimedia Foundation
- WikiCulture & Community
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).