Submissions/To Include Wiki-editing in School Curriculum
After careful consideration, the Programme Committee has decided not to accept the below submission at this time. Thank you to the author(s) for participating in the Wikimania 2014 programme submission, we hope to still see you at Wikimania this August.
- Submission no. 3035
- Title of the submission
- To Include Wiki-editing in School Curriculum
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
- arun jee
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Delhi Public School Society, New Delhi; Central Board of Secondary Education, New Delhi
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
My journey as an editor of Wikipedia started in 2009. I have edited/added contents to a number of articles. I was also able to create a couple of new articles. The over-all experience has indeed been enriching. As an educator I used this experience to involve the students and colleagues in the process of editing on Wikipedia as and when I got the opportunity. However over the last few months I started thinking if I can include Wiki-editing as a part of the school curriculum.
I am an English teacher. I shall start teaching the students of class X(age: 15/16 years) a course of English prescribed by Central Board of Secondary Education, New Delhi from the new session, that is, from 1st April 2014 to 31st March 2015. These students have already been learning English for 9 years or even more. I have decided to include Wiki-editing as a part of my teaching them the skill of writing and researching.
My presentation is going to include the following:
- What are the objectives of including Wiki-editing for school students?
- How to get the students become familiar with Wikipedia and its philosophy?
- How to let them understand and analyse the process of editing the articles?
- How can they start editing and under which specific guidelines?
- Open Scholarship
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Yes, if I get a scholarship.
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).