Submissions/The encyclopedia and the map: How Wikipedia and OpenStreetMap can collaborate
After careful consideration, the Programme Committee has decided not to accept the below submission at this time. Thank you to the author(s) for participating in the Wikimania 2014 programme submission, we hope to still see you at Wikimania this August.
- Submission no. 1117
- Title of the submission
- The encyclopedia and the map: How Wikipedia and OpenStreetMap can collaborate
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
- Cristian Consonni, aka CristianCantoro
- E-mail address
- email me!
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Italia and [http:digitalcommonslab.fbk.eu Digital Commons Lab], Fondazione Bruno Kessler, Trento (Italy)
- Personal homepage or blog
- My userpage on the WM-IT members wiki
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
Wikipedia and OpenStreetMap are two of the largest known collaborative projects in the word. It seems natural that some sort of collaboration is possible also because many Wikipedians (and users of the other Wikimedia projects) are also OpenStreetMap contributors, this is also demostrated by various sessions related to OpenStreetMap already proposed (see for example Humanitarian OpenStreetMap mapping workshop and Editing OpenStreetMap using Rawedit), this session want to be a panel and a continuation to the Wikimaps session at Wikimania 2013 there will be a brief presentation of an integration tool "Wikipedia-tags-in-OSM" developed by the Italian OpenStreetMap community and some news about the creation of an OpenStreetMap Foundation chapter in Italy within the local Wikimedia chapter, Wikimedia Italia (15 minutes). Then there will be 45 minutes where further aspects of the collaboration between OSM and Wikipedia can be explored: contributions are welcome!
- WikiCulture & Community (with addenda about Technology, Interface & Infrastructure and Legal & Free Culture)
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 60 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- If needed, please avoid overlap with this submission: Supporting and developing the Wikimedia organisations: the role of the Funds Dissemination Committee
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).