Submissions/The Wikipedia Books Project
After careful consideration, the Programme Committee has decided not to accept the below submission at this time. Thank you to the author(s) for participating in the Wikimania 2014 programme submission, we hope to still see you at Wikimania this August.
- Submission no. 8507
The Wikipedia Books Project
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
- Christoph Kepper ckepper
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
On February 10th, our team from PediaPress started "The Wikipedia Books Project", an Indiegogo campaign to print the complete English Wikipedia. The project raised strong opinions and was widely discussed by members of the wikipedia community and the general public.
In a panel discussion we want to bring supporters and critics of the project together and explore the controversial perspectives on the project. The goal of the session is to find a few answers for some of the questions surrounding this effort:
- Is such a project necessary?
- How can Wikipedia benefit from the printed edition?
- How is Wikipedia harmed by the printed edition?
- Why does the project evoke such strong emotions?
- What can be learned from such a project?
- Legal & Free Culture
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).