Submissions/Teachers' use of wikipedia
After careful consideration, the Programme Committee has decided not to accept the below submission at this time. Thank you to the author(s) for participating in the Wikimania 2014 programme submission, we hope to still see you at Wikimania this August.
- Submission no. 3028
- Title of the submission
- Teachers' use of wikipedia
- Type of submission (presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
- Hagit Meishar-Tal
- E-mail address
- hagitmt gmail.com
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- The Open University of Israel and Mofet Institute
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
The study investigates teachers’ attitudes toward the use of Wikipedia, the collaborative encyclopedia written by Internet users. Previous studies have shown that Wikipedia has proven to be a relatively reliable source of information that employs sophisticated mechanisms to ensure the quality of the information published by its users. Previous studies also argue that although teachers themselves utilize Wikipedia as a source of information, they tend to forbid their students to use it rather than teach them how to use it intelligently. The present study aims to reveal the factors that impact the attitudes of teachers toward the use of Wikipedia. The paper will describe the findings from the questionnaire that was administered to 150 elementary-school teachers.
Findings show that most teachers use Wikipedia between once a week and once a month. The use of Wikipedia is shallow and may indicate a superficial familiarity with Wikipedia. The use of Wikipedia with students is low and mainly limited to allowing students to use Wikipedia for learning purposes. The study also found that the use of Wikipedia is linked to perceptions about its value of information. The higher the perceived information value is, the higher the personal and educational use.
- Education Outreach
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 Minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Not sure
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- B25es (talk) 16:16, 26 January 2014 (UTC)
- M rifqi (talk) 05:22, 30 January 2014 (UTC)
- Blue Rasberry (talk) 15:47, 28 February 2014 (UTC)
- Omshivaprakash (talk) 18:45, 9 March 2014 (UTC)
- Gnom (talk) 20:22, 19 March 2014 (UTC)
- NavinoEvans (talk) 21:28, 21 March 2014 (UTC)
- Valhallasw (talk) 19:06, 1 June 2014 (UTC)
- Add your username here.