Submissions/Official statistics and Wikidata - how can National Statistics Institutes best contribute to the Wikimedia community
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2014.
- Submission no. 6030
- Title of the submission
- Official statistics and Wikidata: how can National Statistics Institutes best contribute to the Wikimedia community
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Office for National Statistics
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
The Office for National Statistics has been working with John Cummings (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Mrjohncummings) to run some Wikimedia training sessions and small scale edit-thons to improve the quality of statistical content on Wikipedia and there has been considerable interest within the organisation and the wider Government Statistical Service and colleagues in Europe.
At the time of writing Wikidata is not directly acting in this space but it seems like something it is likely to attempt in the future and the ONS is interested in seeing if there is an opportunity for collaboration. As an organisation the ONS is fiercely protective of its own version of 'neutral point of view' and has a strategic objective to improve the communication and understanding of statistics and where better to do this than Wikipedia.
This session is intended to consist of a proposal of how ONS and our partner NSIs might collaborate with Wikidata and the wider Wikimedia community and then be a discussion around the proposal and opportunities for further collaboration.
- Open Data
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- B25es (talk) 11:24, 9 February 2014 (UTC)
- Lawsonstu (talk) 11:40, 12 February 2014 (UTC)
- Kvardek du (talk) 10:57, 14 February 2014 (UTC)
- Pymouss (talk) 19:41, 16 February 2014 (UTC)
- Beat Estermann (talk) 13:40, 19 February 2014 (UTC)
- Llywelyn2000 (talk) 22:09, 28 February 2014 (UTC)
- Micha L. Rieser (talk) 10:43, 20 March 2014 (UTC)
- Mrjohncummings (talk) 18:30, 25 March 2014 (UTC)
- --Sannita (talk) 16:55, 26 March 2014 (UTC)
- Masssly (talk) 20:53, 27 March 2014 (UTC)
- Jukesie always has interesting things to say and the Office for National Statistics is a very important partner organisation. MartinPoulter (talk) 16:04, 29 March 2014 (UTC)
- Blue Rasberry (talk) 22:41, 7 April 2014 (UTC)
- Ahoerstemeier (talk) 09:40, 16 April 2014 (UTC)
- Addshore (talk) 11:30, 4 August 2014 (UTC)
- VIGNERON (talk) 13:19, 8 August 2014 (UTC)
- Benoit Rochon (talk) 14:16, 8 August 2014 (UTC)