Submissions/Mesh Sayada, a free community network for open data and free culture
After careful consideration, the Programme Committee has decided not to accept the below submission at this time. Thank you to the author(s) for participating in the Wikimania 2014 programme submission, we hope to still see you at Wikimania this August.
- Submission no. 2516
- Title of the submission
Mesh Sayada, a free community network for open data and free culture
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
Presentation and discussion
- Author of the submission
Habib M’henni and Yamen Bousrih
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
Wikimedia TN User Group, CLibre Association
- Personal homepage or blog
Blog; Site; Wikimedia TN User Group blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
Mesh Sayada, is a free (libre) and open community wi-fi network located in the little town of Sayada in Tunisia. It offers free access to a database of the city.
Sayada is the first town in Tunisia to publish its datas publicly via its website. Said site offers a database for records, financial statements, civil status and a local Wiki. CLibre, an association (NGO) for the free digital culture has established with the support of The Open Institue of Technology (Washington DC) a free wi-fi Mesh in the city which connects citizens and users to a local server, providing access to
- the city portal,
- Wikipedia in French and Arabic (by the Kiwix tool),
- free books,
- Open Street Map of all Tunisia,
- collaborative tool (Etherpad),
- file sharing,
- and a chat program.
In the future we are adding a QRPedia project to the Mesh, and aiming to connect the server to the Net. In a long term, the Mesh will be expanded to other cities in Tunisia.
- Open Data
- Length of session
- 30 minutes (20 minutes of presentation and 10 minutes of discussion)
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
If I have a scholarship. YES! We are coming to London.
- Slides or further information (optional)
Slides will be published! Here are video demonstration of the Mesh on YouTube, and a brief presentation of the project.
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).