Submissions/Four Years of Contributing and Connecting to Wikipedia from Inside the Audio-visual Archive
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2014.
- Submission no. 2014
- Title of the submission
Four Years of Contributing and Connecting to Wikipedia from Inside the Audio-visual Archive
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
Presentation with room for questions and discussion
- Author of the submission
- Jesse de Vos, username: 85jesse, GLAM-wiki coordinator at the Netherlands Institute for Sound and Vision
- Maarten Brinkerink, Project Manager R&D at the Netherlands Institute for Sound and Vision
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- The Netherlands
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- The Netherlands Institute for Sound and Vision
- Personal homepage or blog
- projectpage, on Twitter: @85jesse
- Personal homepage, on Twitter: @mbrinkerink
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
Over the last years the Netherlands Institute for Sound and Vision (one of Europe’s leading audiovisual archives) has become the largest GLAM contributor of video on Wikimedia Commons through their “Open Images” project. These items are being used in a total of 3.600 articles across 70 different language versions of Wikipedia. Sound and Vision has also contributed sounds in a project called “Sound of the Netherlands” and were involved in projects such as “Wiki Loves Public Art” through their partnering in Europeana Awareness. To expand this succesful co-operation with Wikimedia Netherlands and the wider community of Wikipedia, the Netherlands Institute for Sound and Vision decided to appoint a GLAM-wiki coordinator. He has been active in facilitating new content donations, engaging with the community of Wikipedia in order to contextualize the content donated and educating staff about the possibilities of the platforms of Wikimedia.
This contribution will be divided in two sections: The first part will cover the specific challenges of sharing audiovisual media through Wikimedia. Questions that will be answered include:
- What are the results and experiences that have come out of four years of audio-visual content donations?
- What can GLAMs do to stimulate qualitative and quantitative use of audio-visual content donated to Wikimedia Commons?
- What are the effects of a variety of content-strategies: E.g. large-scale vs. small scale, related to existing Wikimedia project vs. unrelated, incidental vs. structural, thematic vs. random, carefully categorized vs. uncategorized, etc.
- Which results should be measured in order to get a realistic idea of the success or failure of a project?
- What is the future of Video on Wikipedia and the open web? Reflections on the whitepaper by Peter B. Kaufman (http://www.ibiblio.org/cccr/icom/wikipedia.pdf)
In the second part the position of the GLAM-wiki coordinartor at Sound and Vision will be evaluated. The following questions are addressed:
- What are the organizational prerequisites for the success of GLAM-wiki co-operation?
- What are the competencies needed from people who work as a GLAM-wiki coordinator at an organization?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of working with an in-house GLAMwiki coordinator vs. a (temporary) Wikipedian in Residence?
- GLAM Outreach
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 45 minutes (can be 30 if needed)
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- 85jesse (talk) 14:01, 31 March 2014 (UTC)
- Husky (talk) 14:03, 31 March 2014 (UTC)
- Maarten Brinkerink
- Daniel Mietchen (talk) 15:38, 31 March 2014 (UTC)
- Susannaanas (talk) 21:46, 31 March 2014 (UTC)
- Beat Estermann (talk) 06:05, 1 April 2014 (UTC)
- Liekeploeger (talk) 10:09, 1 April 2014 (UTC)
- LoriLee (talk) 09:53, 13 April 2014 (UTC)
- SarahStierch (talk) 20:07, 13 April 2014 (UTC)
- MCruz (WMF) (talk)
- Borys Kozielski (talk) 16:56, 23 July 2014 (UTC)
- .js (talk) 18:09, 23 July 2014 (UTC)
- Maarten Jansen (talk) 13:14, 31 July 2014 (UTC)
- --OlafJanssen (talk) 12:49, 5 August 2014 (UTC)
- Ter-burg (talk) 09:26, 9 August 2014 (UTC)
- Add your username here.