Submissions/After the Encyclopedia: Horizons for a Collaborative Knowledge Project
After careful consideration, the Programme Committee has decided not to accept the below submission at this time. Thank you to the author(s) for participating in the Wikimania 2014 programme submission, we hope to still see you at Wikimania this August.
- Submission no. 1009
- Title of the submission
- After the Encyclopedia: Horizons for a Collaborative Knowledge Project
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Presentation + talk
- Author of the submission
- Toter Alter Mann
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Department of Sociology, LMU Munich
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
- In its early days, Wikipedia ventured to first mimic and then challenge the renowned print encyclopedias of the 20th century: Encyclopædia Britannica, Larousse, Espasa, Brockhaus. But now that Wikipedia has overstripped them in scope as well as in volume (if not in quality), we have to ask ourselves how the encyclopedia of the 21st century should look like. How can we write about topics that traditional encyclopedias sneered at or never even dared to seriously tackle – video games, scientific controversies, recent political events, fictional species, or the Holy Ghost? What does it mean to write for an audience quite different from bourgeois book lovers? Faced with the proliferation of events, objects, and actors constantly produced in our world, can we still strive for an inventory of human knowledge? And how to deal with knowledge that is radically contradictive? How can Wikipedia make a difference if it is to be absolutely neutral? I will try to give an outlook on the challenges that I think will dominate the project in the coming years – and to answer the question of what the hell we're actually doing here.
- WikiCulture & Community
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 45 Minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- User:Dmitry Dzhagarov
- WereSpielChequers (talk) 08:12, 28 January 2014 (UTC)
- --Another Believer (talk) 17:09, 8 February 2014 (UTC)
- Kvardek du (talk) 11:02, 14 February 2014 (UTC)
- Pymouss (talk) 19:33, 16 February 2014 (UTC)
- B25es (talk) 18:26, 22 February 2014 (UTC)
- BD2412 (talk) 21:06, 28 February 2014 (UTC)
- Gnom (talk) 20:01, 19 March 2014 (UTC)
- Leutha (talk)
- SatuSuro (talk) 10:18, 20 March 2014 (UTC)
- NaBUru38 23:31, 25 March 2014 (UTC)
- 188.8.131.52 02:30, 4 April 2014 (UTC)
- MichaelMaggs (talk) 14:31, 6 April 2014 (UTC)
- Your name here!