Do I need a visa?
If you are travelling from outside the European Union (EU), it is likely you will require a visa. Please check Visas/Eligibility by country for more information.
Which type of visa do I need?
If you do need a visa, a "General Visitor" (tourist) visa is sufficient to attend and participate in Wikimania. Please see the below guidance document from UK Visas and Immigration. Applications can be submitted up to 3 months before travel.
Please note, if you are transiting in certain countries such as the United States and Schengen countries en route to London, you may also be required to apply for a transit visa.
• Apply at https://www.gov.uk/apply-uk-visa.
Note, that your visa application's chance of success could be helped by providing documentation such as:
• Travel bookings, return flight
• Itinerary of visit
• Confirmation of conference booking
• Evidence you can support yourself financially while in the UK
• Evidence of current employment or enrolment in education in home country
Please see the below documents which may help support your application:
• Wikimedia Foundation Form 990 (Tax return 2012/13)
• Wikimedia UK Annual Report 2012/13
And for quick reference:
Thistle City Barbican Hotel,
Tel: 0871 376 9004
The Barbican Centre,
Tel: 020 7638 4141
What support will Wikimania provide to my visa application?
- If you are attending Wikimania 2014 and require a visa, Wikimedia UK can provide you with a letter to support your visa application. Please note that beyond providing a supporting letter, Wikimedia UK are unable to influence the visa application process.
- If you require a supporting letter, please contact email@example.com. You should include your full name, home address and passport number in your email. If you know the address of the place you are applying for a visa from and/or the name of a person you have been dealing with there then it is useful to also include this.
- WMF Scholarship recipients who require a supporting letter, please state that you are a scholarship recipient in your request.