After careful consideration, the Programme Committee has decided not to accept the below submission at this time. Thank you to the author(s) for participating in the Wikimania 2014 programme submission, we hope to still see you at Wikimania this August.
- Submission no. 8502
- Title of the submission
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
Tito Dutta (username: Titodutta)
- E-mail address
Special:EmailUser/Titodutta OR tito.wikipediagmail.com
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
After working in English language Wikipedia for more than 2 years, I have felt, it is very difficult to find an editor if he or she suddenly stops editing. See wikipedia:Wikipedia:Missing Wikipedians. We have no way to know where the editor is. For example, see wikipedia:User:WikHead. He had more than 100,000 edits. At the end of 2012 he was telling me he was wiki-frustrated and physically ill. Now for last 1 year I am trying to find where he is. Many more editors like WikHead go missing from every project of Wikimedia everyday. I know, a large number of editors voluntarily leave the project and perhaps don't want to be contacted.
I have been working in wikipedia:Wikipedia:Deceased Wikipedians — I know there only those editors' names get included who are notable enough to hit any newspaper or whose relatives are careful enough to inform any other editor. I work in almost every page in the "Deceased Wikipedians" portal, but if I die tomorrow, my name may not get included there.
Now the question is— should we sit idle? Here I think we should encourage editors to think, "we are part of a wikifamily", not only by creating a single page Wikipedia:Wikifamily and with a note "please feel free to sign your name at the bottom", but something "more seriously and practically". This should be included and supported by both on-wiki and off-wiki (outreach). It may also help in our current editor-retention project and it might be helpful for the new editors. I have some ideas. I want to make presentation on it.
- WikiCulture & Community
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- I don't know how to make such thing without public revealing of personal data but this subject worries me sometimes. --Base (talk) 18:35, 18 February 2014 (UTC)
- Blue Rasberry (talk) 15:47, 28 February 2014 (UTC)
- NaBUru38 23:52, 25 March 2014 (UTC)
- <3 SarahStierch (talk) 01:31, 14 April 2014 (UTC)
- Micru (talk) 14:04, 15 April 2014 (UTC)
- Varnent (talk) 06:31, 20 April 2014 (UTC)
- --Хомелка (talk) 10:37, 1 June 2014 (UTC)
- Add your username here.