Submissions/Wiki Loves E-textbooks
After careful consideration, the Programme Committee has decided not to accept the below submission at this time. Thank you to the author(s) for participating in the Wikimania 2014 programme submission, we hope to still see you at Wikimania this August.
This submission is on the wait list for Wikimania 2014.
- Submission no. 3050
- Title of the submission
- Wiki Loves E-textbooks
- Type of submission
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Polska
- Personal homepage or blog
- Wikimedia Polska together with Centre for Education Development (a subsidiary of Polish Ministry of Education) organized a "Wiki loves e-textbooks" contest in Polish Wikipedia. Centre for Education Development coordinates a governmental project "epodręczniki" (e-textbooks) for writing officially approved textbooks for primary and secondary schools in Poland. The textbooks are about to be released under CC-BY license and available for free on the special webpage  in order to replace existing,very expensive paper textbooks printed by commercial publishers. The textbooks are written by teams of professional experts from several Polish state universities. The problem is the lack of good quality multimedia (photos, vector illustrations, animations, sound recordings, short films) for them, which can be released under free licenses. The idea of "Wiki loves e-textbooks" contest is to encourage Polish Wikipedians to adopt existing multimedia or create original ones for the needs of the textbooks. The contest is organized in a bit similar way to “Wiki Loves Monuments”, however with other target objects and different system of prizes. Teams of experts are creating tables with needed media, which are published in Wikipedia and participants of the contest can upload them to Wikimedia Commons using simplified upload wizard. Then, the experts select really useful files and give "score points" to the uploaders. The winner is the person who will receive the highest score. Of course all multimedia will stay on Commons after the contest, so it is win-win situation by both Wikimedia projects, which are about to be enriched with files thematically connected with needs of schoolchildren, as well as „epodreczniki” project and general educational audience in Poland. The contest is financially supported by "Human Capital” program maintained by European Social Fund and Polish government . The contest started at April 7th and will last until the end of September. I will present the story behind the contest, how it is organized and what are the current results.
- Education Outreach
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).