Submissions/Testing internationalized applications for Wikimedia content
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2014.
- Submission no. 5046
- Title of the submission
- Testing internationalized applications for Wikimedia content
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
- Kartik Mistry Runa Bhattacharjee
- E-mail address
- kmistrywikimedia.org, rbhattacharjeewikimedia.org
- Kartik Mistry, Runa Bhattacharjee
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- WMF, Language Engineering team
- Personal homepage or blog
- https://kartikm.wordpress.com, https://arrbee.wordpress.com
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
As opposed to traditional testing methodologies an important challenge for testing internationalized applications is to verify the preciseness of the content delivered using them. When we talk about applications developed for different scripts and languages, the key functionalities like display, and input of content may require several levels of verification before it can be signed off as being adequately capable of handling a particular language. A substantial part of this verification process includes visual verification of the text, which requires extensive collaboration between the language speakers and the developers. For content on Wikimedia this can stretch to more than 300 languages for websites that are active or waiting in the incubator. In this session, we would like to present about our current best practices and solutions like tofu-detection - a way to identify if scripts are not being displayed, that can narrow down the long-drawn manual testing stages to address specific problems as they are identified.
- Technology, Interface & Infrastructure
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Quiddity (talk) 21:17, 12 April 2014 (UTC)
- Alolita Sharma
- Borys Kozielski (talk) 17:11, 23 July 2014 (UTC)
- JSahleen (WMF) (talk) 13:24, 5 August 2014 (UTC)
- Add your username here.