Submissions/Replaying Edits & Visualising Edit History
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2014.
- Submission no. 5039
- Title of the submission
Replaying edits & visualising edit history
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
Jeph Paul Alapat
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
Over the last eight months I built Replay Edits, a tool that shows the evolution of an article like a video. While building it I looked at a lot of existing ideas to represent the edit history of an article. A lot of different approaches have been tried like sparklines, flowgraphs, maps etc.
Visualizing the edit history & the edits could help us with :
- Understanding vandalism patterns
- Looking at the usefulness/longevity of edits
- Learning how an article grows and evolves over time
- Understanding editor behavior
I'd like to survey the existing ideas and suggest ideas for the above. I'd also talk about the choices I made for the tool and use the talk as a springboard for newer approaches.
The tool has a slider to select the edits of interest & allows the edits made to be viewed like a video that can be paused and resumed. The slider in the tool has been separated out & could be used in other projects. I'd like to show examples of how we could use it to answer some of the questions above.
More details on the tool can be found here.
Technology, Interface & Infrastructure
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
http://slides.com/cosmiclattes/wikipediavisualised (The slides)
http://slides.com/cosmiclattes/wikipediavisualised/live (Follow the presentation live when I present it)
https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/replayEdits The ether pad link to the presentation
- Special requests
- Since I'm not attending wikimania, Jonathan Morgan has agreed to step in for me & help me do a hangout & deliver the talk.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- --Netha Hussain (talk) 09:41, 4 March 2014 (UTC)
- Quiddity (talk) 20:26, 12 April 2014 (UTC)
- Djembayz (talk) 12:39, 18 April 2014 (UTC)
- Jtmorgan (talk) 18:53, 18 April 2014 (UTC)
- Halfak (WMF) (talk) 21:34, 25 April 2014 (UTC)
- Daniel Case (talk) 02:10, 1 August 2014 (UTC)
- Add your username here.