Submissions/Perspectives of merging the 3 incubator-like projects of WMF
After careful consideration, the Programme Committee has decided not to accept the below submission at this time. Thank you to the author(s) for participating in the Wikimania 2014 programme submission, we hope to still see you at Wikimania this August.
- Submission no. 1061
- Title of the submission
- Perspectives of merging the 3 incubator-like projects of WMF [preliminary title]
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- LangCom, Wikimedia Deutschland (both partially)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Robin's Blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
- Wikimedia Incubator, BetaWikiversity and the Multilingual Wikisource (aka "OldWikisource") are the three projects of Wikimedia Foundation in which new language versions of the existing content projects (Wikipedia, Wikibooks, Wikinews, Wikiquote, Wiktionary, Wikivoyage, Wikiversity and Wikisource) can be built and edited before they get their own wikis. We would like to present how one works on these wikis, the peculiarities that need to be looked at, and would like to talk about whether it is possible to merge them into each other (just one Incubator instead of I., BetaWV and Multilingual WS), in the light of a current discussion on Meta about Incubator also taking over BetaWikiversity's functions, and also past ones about it — pros and cons from a technical POV & contributors' POV — with a digression on the entirely opposite idea: splitting Incubator into one wiki for each project (and why we think that would be a bad idea). -- If participants are interested in the topic, a discussion could surely follow.
- WikiCulture & Community
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30-40 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- to be seen
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).