Submissions/Our Default Setting is Open: The Wikimedia Model of Crowdfunded Knowledge Production in formal learning environments
After careful consideration, the Programme Committee has decided not to accept the below submission at this time. Thank you to the author(s) for participating in the Wikimania 2014 programme submission, we hope to still see you at Wikimania this August.
- Submission no. 3020
- Title of the submission
- Our Default Setting is Open: The Wikimedia Model of Crowdfunded Knowledge Production in Formal Learning Environments
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
- Paola Ricaurte
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Tecnologico de Monterrey
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
Traditional approaches to knowledge production and collaboration impose built-in constraints and limitations on community engagement and on productivity/outputs. By contrast, the Wikimedia model of crowdfunded knowledge production as an epistemology and methodology for peer production and peer learning aims to support emergent collaborative structures that are responsive to the changing requirements of our complex world. According to the Wikimedia model of knowledge production, “learning” and “culture” are conceived as social practices aimed to enriching the commons. On a micro level, a vision of crowdfunded knowledge production within an open source framework can be applied to formal and informal learning environments. On a macro level, it may be useful for the development and implementation of educational public policy. The purpose of this presentation is to show a case study of wiki and open source learning and knowledge production in formal learning contexts at college level in Mexico City. Our contention is that open knowledge and peer production are required epistemological approaches to learning in the digital age.
- Education Outreach
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- No. My institution provides funding only for accepted papers.
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).