Submissions/Insider/Outsiders - GLAM case studies from India & Mexico
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2014.
- Submission no. 2021
- Insider/Outsiders - GLAM case studies from India & Mexico
- Type of submission (presentation)
- Author of the submission
- Leigh Thelmadatter and Noopur Raval
- E-mail address
- osamadre hotmail.com and noopur.raval gmail.com
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Wiki Borregos/Wikimedia Mexico and Wikimedia India
- Personal homepage or blog
Premise: Much has been written about aspects of culture that can are very hard to document on Wikipedia, in part because of its stringent policies and the need for already-published materials from a limited variety of sources. This can be especially difficult for a range of "information reservoirs" such as contemporary artists, artisans and those preserving their history in oral forms and memory everyday. This makes many communities with a rich cultural legacy completely invisible on the global map of Wikipedia because sources are either lacking and/or they are not available digitally even when the subjects meet Wikipedia notability standards.
We are two practitioners in the GLAM area, situated as "insider/outsiders" in two "Global South" setups - India and Mexico, who are addressing this issue by creating programs/interventions in our institutions and making space for Wikipedia. We are also insiders to the Wikipedia world and hence trying to make space for the kind of knowledge we think is valuable. This talk will focus on the efforts to document artists and artisans in India and Mexico, working with several GLAM institutions to develop strategies to overcome these difficulties. Leigh Thelmadatter from Mexico will talk about the Museo de Arte Popular and the Salón de la Plástica Mexicana in regards to biographies of artists and artisans. In this case the main challenge is to cover biographies,especially of living persons, of subjects that meet wikipedi's notability policy but lack detailed published sources to cite. Noopur Raval from India will make a presentation on Wiki-histories - a successful and ongoing GLAM project to record biographies of contemporary Indian artists on EN-WP. The presentation will also explore some opportunities for visualizing content on Wikipedia as well as options to archive art related information, widely accepted metadata standards and the role of Wikipedia within the archival world.
Both practitioners have also seriously considered issues of conflict of interest and tried to negotiate them in their own unique ways. They will also talk about possible intersections and conflicts, above and beyond literal CoI.
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 25 Minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Slowking4 (talk) 22:40, 7 February 2014 (UTC)
- Jonathan Cardy (WMUK) (talk) 19:05, 25 February 2014 (UTC)
- Blue Rasberry (talk) 15:42, 28 February 2014 (UTC)
- PatHadley (talk) 11:20, 4 March 2014 (UTC)
- SarahStierch (talk) 20:12, 13 April 2014 (UTC)
- Wuselig (talk) 09:15, 15 July 2014 (UTC)
- Thamizhpparithi Maari (talk) 07:55, 31 July 2014 (UTC)
- Joelaldor (talk) 02:24, 3 August 2014 (UTC)