Submissions/Discussion Room/2

From Wikimania 2014 • London, United Kingdom
Jump to: navigation, search


Round table discussions involve the audience!

The Discussion Room is a space for open and facilitated discussions at Wikimania that are actually about the content projects.

Discussion topics
  • Session 2a, 11.30 - 12.10: "Wikimedia Commons - Needs and wishes for the perfect Wikimedia media database."
  • Session 2b, 12.15 - 13.00: "Will we still need categories in times of Wikidata?"
Author of the submission
Lodewijk Gelauff & Iolanda Pensa (facilitators)
Track
  • WikiCulture & Community
Length of session
90 minutes.

Discussion Program Session 1

https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/discussionroom2a - etherpad 2a
https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/discussionroom2b - etherpad 2b

Abstract 
This is one of the discussion sessions in the overarching Discussion Room concept. It will focus on the following two discussions:
  • Session 2a, 11.30 - 12.10: "Wikimedia Commons - Needs and wishes for the perfect Wikimedia media database."
  • Session 2b, 12.15 - 13.00: "Will we still need categories in times of Wikidata?"
General approach

Each discussion targets specifically online Wikimedia projects, it lasts 40 minutes and it starts with a short 5 minutes introduction.
To set the tone of our discussions, we have three rules:

  1. Focus on YOU. We are interested in discussing and triggering individual action, things people can personally do and change to improve our Wikimedia projects. We trust the discussion can be much more interesting if we do not focus on what others should do ("the others", Wikimedia chapters and Wikimedia Foundation).
  2. Be constructive and polite. Disagreements animate discussions and they can allow us to unfold all issues related to a topic. Let's avoid personal attacks, let's consider that we have different backgrounds and let's aim at making everybody comfortable in sharing their legitimate point of view.
  3. Be short and on topic. Let's create space for everyone to express his/her opinion.

2a: Wikimedia Commons - Needs and wishes for the perfect Wikimedia media database

Objective
Identify major points of improvement to Wikimedia Commons
Approach
We will collect existing problems with Wikimedia Commons, and possible points of improvement. Then we will spend some time on discussing how they compare, and try to rank them to some extent. We will focus on questions of interface (software and help pages), tools, internationalisation/localisation, organization of content, atmosphere
Sidenote
This is not the place for legal discussions. Words like Copyright, Freedom of Panorama and Legal Liability should not be used.

2b: Will we still need categories in times of Wikidata?

Objective
Understand (and document) Wikidata's potential impact on category systems better. Have a good discussion by exploring from different angles the question "Will we still need categories in times of Wikidata?".
Approach
We will try to have some relevant experts in the room to give the necessary theoretical background. The discussion should focus on what is and isn't possible with Wikidata, whether it would be a good approach for a category system, whether it is ready or what should be improved first, what should be the criteria and who should decide whether it is ready.
Sidenote
This will probably (necessarily) get a little technical. Bear with us!

Saturday discussions

All sessions are on Saturday (day 2).

  • Session 1a, 09.30 - 10.10: "Welcoming and retaining new users."
  • Session 1b, 10.15 - 11.00: "What do new users need to be successful?"

Morning break

  • Session 2a, 11.30 - 12.10: "Wikimedia Commons - Needs and wishes for the perfect Wikimedia media database."
  • Session 2b, 12.15 - 13.00: "Will we still need categories in times of Wikidata?"

Lunch break

  • Session 3a, 14.30 - 15.10: "What topics are relevant/notable?"
  • Session 3b, 15:15 - 16.00: "Exchange of deletion/review processes and best practices."

Afternoon break

  • Session 4a, 16.30 - 17.10: "Admins: editors with extra buttons or community leaders."
  • Session 4b, 17:15 - 18.00: "Mass article creation - who should write Wikipedia?"

Interested attendees

If you are interested in attending this this specific session (one or both discussions), please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).

  1. Matthias Süßen (talk) 20:09, 24 July 2014 (UTC)
  2. Fabrice Florin (WMF) (talk) 02:39, 31 July 2014 (UTC)
  3. I'll attend Session 2b. -Joelaldor (talk) 02:11, 3 August 2014 (UTC)
  4. Fixertool (talk) 09:52, 3 August 2014 (UTC)
  5. Sshhiivv (talk) 21:55, 4 August 2014 (UTC)
  6. --MB-one (talk) 18:54, 7 August 2014 (UTC)