Submissions/Context visualization for Wikipedia articles
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2014.
- Submission no. 5011
- Title of the submission
- In context visualisation for Wikipedia articles
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
- Miguel Alejandro Parra - Jean Pierre Charalambos
- E-mail address
- User: maparrar
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- RemixLab - Universidad Nacional de Colombia
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
- For several years now Wikipedia has been an excellent web tool for introducing human knowledge. Users should thus be provided with a meaningful context concerning the information being consulted to provide a broader overview of a specific topic or event. Wikipedia sometimes recommends articles in its section “See also”, although they barely fulfil the purpose of providing context; such information relies on an encyclopaedist’s knowledge regarding specific areas. This paper was thus intended to ascertain a better way of finding an appropriate context for a given article (from collaborative platforms such as MediaWiki) and display it properly; the development of an automated tool which could provide such context is thereby suggested. This tool will have a display window for creating a valuable, easily understood visual context for each user; such context can also be improved through Wikipedians making suggestions via the interface. This tool could be integrated into every wiki involving MediaWiki, and eventually Wikipedia, since it will be created as a MediaWiki extension. It is ongoing work and has a prototype in alpha phase (see http://maparrar.com/wiki/index.php/Atom). This work considers topics such as Search and Information Retrieval, Natural Language Processing, information visualisation and usability to fulfil the aims of this research. The prototype has been designed as a standard extension of MediaWiki and features three parts: the link processor, the 3D renderer and the extension driver.
- The link processor: This programme searches for links between texts and processes them to provide additional information regarding an article being read. It is proposed that further work should address full text processing to ensure obtaining more complete and relevant information. Semantic MediaWiki is an important tool concerning this specific aspect as it can retrieve information based on articles previously tagged with semantic metadata.
- Extension driver: This driver coordinates both the renderer and link processor; moreover, it configures the initial variables and inserts HTML and CSS (cascading style sheets) extension content.
- Technology, Interface & Infrastructure
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 20 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Depends on sponsorship
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Martin Kraus (talk) 21:43, 29 March 2014 (UTC)
- Jaredzimmerman (WMF) (talk) 06:35, 31 March 2014 (UTC)
- Sjgknight (talk) 08:45, 1 April 2014 (UTC)
- MichaelMaggs (talk) 14:39, 6 April 2014 (UTC)
- Ocaasi (talk) 22:58, 6 April 2014 (UTC)
- Quiddity (talk) 19:10, 12 April 2014 (UTC)
- the wub "?!" 23:23, 13 April 2014 (UTC)
- Masssly (talk) 12:38, 5 July 2014 (UTC)
- Promelior (talk) 14:07, 31 July 2014 (UTC)
- Joelaldor (talk) 02:47, 3 August 2014 (UTC)
- Sshhiivv (talk) 22:23, 4 August 2014 (UTC)