Submissions/Wikipedia and It's Impact on Hollywood
19:04, 26 March 2014 (UTC)19:04, 26 March 2014 (UTC)~~
After careful consideration, the Programme Committee has decided not to accept the below submission at this time. Thank you to the author(s) for participating in the Wikimania 2014 programme submission, we hope to still see you at Wikimania this August.
- Submission no. 1127
- Title of the submission
- Wikipedia and It's Impact on Hollywood
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
- Karen Pfeiffer (Colliehaven)
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- United States
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Weatherwax Collies (Lassie)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Facebook - Lassie and Company
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
- I would like to discuss the positive and negative impact that Wikipedia has on the Hollywood scene. There are many examples where Wikipedia has positively helped the images of Hollywood stars, and there are also many negative examples where Wikipedia has hurt a star, either living or dead. I am determined that the facts that are presented on Wikipedia need to be thoroughly researched and verified, because of the damage or the good that it can do to a Hollywood star, either past, or currently in the making. One example would be the world's most famous canine star, Lassie. There is one contributor on Wikipedia that has a very biased history of Lassie and has posted very damaging remarks on Wikipedia about Lassie and his owner/trainer. That should not be allowed and there should be blocks in place to stop the damage of slanderous remarks. Many contributors on Wikipedia do not thoroughly research or know their subject, and post unsubstantiated remarks. There needs to be a system of checks and balances that stops this kind of misuse of information from happening.
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Not sure
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Add your username here. colliehaven