Submissions/Welcome to Grub Street
After careful consideration, the Programme Committee has decided not to accept the below submission at this time. Thank you to the author(s) for participating in the Wikimania 2014 programme submission, we hope to still see you at Wikimania this August.
- Submission no. 7003
- Title of the submission
Welcome to Grub Street
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
Beneath the brutalist architecture of the Barbican centre lies one of the most intriguing areas of London. Hundreds of years ago this was the site of Grub Street, home for many of London's writers, both notable and not so notable. Questions of intellectual property rights, and what it meant to be paid to write frequently arose amongst this community. Even the term "Hack" arose from the name of nearby Hackney. This will be an opportunity to stretch your legs and wander in the vicinity of the conference centre and reflect on some of the issues which affected this community just as they affect the Wikimedia Community of today.
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes
Probably about 45 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
This will involve wandering around in the vicinity of the Barbican
- Messiness will inevitably arise in spite of smart cities
- In Praise of Messy Cities / Grub Street & the super wicked]
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).