Submissions/We're conservative, are we facing the Fall of our movement?
After careful consideration, the Programme Committee has decided not to accept the below submission at this time. Thank you to the author(s) for participating in the Wikimania 2014 programme submission, we hope to still see you at Wikimania this August.
- Submission no. 1119
- Title of the submission
- We're conservative, are we facing the Fall of our movement?
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
- Christophe Henner, schiste
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
- We started as highly disruptive and innovative movement. We tackled an issue that no one tried to tackle on a global basis: access to knowledge. We built tools, communities and policies to make it happen. But as the time went, we grew to become more and more conservative. When we worked on the Wikimedia Strategic Plan, one of the key goal was "innovation". But that is the one goal we will fail at.
In 20 minutes, I will try to convince you that we grew to be conservative, that we're stagnating and that this could be our fall. I'll try to convince you to try to become, once again, open to new ideas, possibilities and to see opportunities instead of risks. And that changing your mindset is key if we want our movement to, one day, achieve its goal.
- WikiCulture & Community
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- of course
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).