Submissions/Visiting London's GLAMs before and after Wikimania
After careful consideration, the Programme Committee has decided not to accept the below submission at this time. Thank you to the author(s) for participating in the Wikimania 2014 programme submission, we hope to still see you at Wikimania this August.
- Submission no. 2044
- Title of the submission
- Visiting London's GLAMs before and after Wikimania
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
- Edward Hands
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
- London has one of the world's finest selections of GLAMs, and Wikimania attendees should try to visit some of them while they are here. This presentation will seek to provide them with some of the information they might need to decide how best to spend their GLAM visiting time.
London is unusual for a global city in that most of its major galleries and museums have free entry, but which ones? And which ones charge, and how much? When are they open? Do any have special arrangements with us in August?
Do they allow photography (most do), but what about tripods? Flash? And which GLAMs' collections are well covered in Commons, and which have a relatively low percentage of exhibited objects photographed on Commons? And which GLAMs have Wikipedia entries in need of improvement?
On the subject of photography, in September 2013, Wiki Loves Monuments sought to obtain for Commons as many images as possible of London's Grade I and Grade II* listed buildings. Many are still missing images, including some Grade I buildings in central London. There is much of value that can be done.
This presentation, for which the slides and tabulated data will be available before Wikimania, aims to help attendees to match their interests with the needs of Wikipedia and Commons.
- GLAM Outreach
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Slides to come
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).