Submissions/The Uzbek Wikipedia - Past, Present and Future

From Wikimania 2014 • London, United Kingdom
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Xmark01.svg

After careful consideration, the Programme Committee has decided not to accept the below submission at this time. Thank you to the author(s) for participating in the Wikimania 2014 programme submission, we hope to still see you at Wikimania this August.

Submission no. 1087
Article growth on Uzbek Wikipedia
Milestone Date
1st edit 12.21.2003
100 articles 01.15.2006
500 articles 05.24.2006
1,000 articles 05.28.2006
10,000 articles 06.05.2012
20,000 articles 07.05.2012
30,000 articles 07.31.2012
40,000 articles 08.27.2012
50,000 articles 11.08.2012
60,000 articles 11.29.2012
70,000 articles 01.04.2013
80,000 articles 02.13.2013
90,000 articles 03.10.2013
100,000 articles 03.20.2013
Title of the submission

The Uzbek Wikipedia - Past, Present and Future

Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)

Presentation

Author of the submission

Nodir Ataev

E-mail address

ataevnodir@gmail.com

Username

Nataev

Country of origin

Kyrgyzstan

Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)

Organization for Security and Co-Operation in Europe

Personal homepage or blog

Personal homepage (in Uzbek)

Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)

The Uzbek version of Wikipedia, which was founded in 2003, currently has only a little over 127,000 articles, a majority of which are very poorly sourced. For a country that has almost 9 million Internet users, this number is extremely low. Moreover, only 6.4 percent of the Uzbek Wikipedia articles have been created by users. The other 93.6 percent are bot-created articles.

My personal research shows that there seem to be two main reasons that explain why the Uzbek Wikipedia remains underdeveloped. First is the fact that the Uzbek version of Wikipedia, along with many other websites, is currently blocked in the territory of Uzbekistan. Second is the lack of knowledge among Uzbeks about the existence of the Uzbek Wikipedia. Active editors of the Uzbek Wikipedia have been trying hard to address both of these issues.

After finding out that the pages of the Uzbek Wikipedia can be accessed on an HTTPS connection in Uzbekistan, one of our users convinced Google to start indexing articles on the Uzbek Wikipedia with HTTPS by default. To address the second issue, namely the lack of knowledge among Uzbeks about the existence of the Uzbek Wikipedia, we have been doing all we can to increase public awareness about our Wikipedia. Because of our efforts, more news articles have been written about the Uzbek Wikipedia in the last few years than in its entire history. Recently I convinced Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty's Uzbek Service to jointly write a series of articles about Wikipedia in general and the Uzbek Wikipedia in particular. So far we have published over a dozen articles. The articles have sparked much interest in Wikipedia and have been met with great enthusiasm.

If given a chance, I will gladly present about the past, present, and future of our Wikipedia. First, I will present about the many changes that have taken place on the Uzbek Wikipedia in the past few years. Specifically, I will talk about how we have addressed some of the tough challenges that we have faced. Second, I will discuss the current state of the Uzbek version of Wikipedia. Particularly, I will present about the quality of articles on science and contemporary political life. Finally, I will talk about the many challenges that our Wikipedia is going to face down the road. I hope I will get feedback from other participants of the conference on how to address these challenges.

Track

WikiCulture and Community (Wikis in Asia)

Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)

25 minutes

Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?

Yes

Slides or further information (optional)

To be uploaded.

Special requests

None

Interested attendees

If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).

  1. --Gereon K. (talk) 22:15, 14 April 2014 (UTC)
  2. Djembayz (talk) 12:22, 18 April 2014 (UTC)
  3. Add your username here.