Submissions/Maranao Wikipedia and Wikimedia Projects
After careful consideration, the Programme Committee has decided not to accept the below submission at this time. Thank you to the author(s) for participating in the Wikimania 2014 programme submission, we hope to still see you at Wikimania this August.
- Submission no. 1055
- Title of the submission
- Maranao Wikipedia and Wikimedia Projects
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- w:International Association of Administrative Professionals (IAAP)
- Personal homepage or blog
- MyMuMaMuMa Natlus
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
- w:Maranao may not have been heard by most of Wikipedian editors; this term usually confused with the culture, entity, or its people and sultanate and even fewer have heard about Maranao language, usually confused with Maguindanaon or Iranon. The Maranao literally means “People of the Lake”, after its traditional territory in the area surrounding w:Lake Lanao in the Bukidnon-Lanao Plateau. The Maranao language is spoken by million+ speakers, which I could safely say that in the next 50 years or so the language will disappear as the young generations started to speak gradually different and distinct from the previous generations, and have adapted many languages from neighboring regions and adopted countries. Maranao language is declining and might vanish eventually, so to speak. Having its own Wikipedia and several projects will save the Maranao language -- as this will encourage the generations to come to indulge, to explore and thrive to preserve its distinct yet loyal identity.
- WikiCulture & Community
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 20-25 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Yes (depends on scholarship approval)
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- I applied for a scholarship earlier but I think I failed to mention that I am going to submit abstract.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Add your username here.]