Submissions/Join the technical community - an introduction for absolute beginners
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Title of the submission
- Join the technical community - an introduction for absolute beginners
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
- Erik Moeller
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Germany (US resident)
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Foundation
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
Leading into the amazing showcase of amazing things, I will give an easy to understand introduction to the many ways to make a technical contribution in Wikimedia projects -- even if the last thing you remember about programming are hazy images of turtles. Drop by if you've ever mused about questions like the following:
- Templates, Lua, oh my - er, OK, why should I care again?
- Why is there a "Wikimedia Labs" project and where are all the mad scientists?
- What's an Ay Pee Eye and why do I need it?
- "Puppet" and "Vagrant" - who comes up with these names?
- Gadgets - do I need them if I am not a clumsy, dim-witted cyborg detective?
- If I write a bot, um, I'm a little worried that it might try to kill me - you know?
If you don't come out of this talk at least a little bit enlightened, I'll just claim you weren't in the target demographic to begin with. I kid - drop by, it'll be fun.
- Technology, Interface & Infrastructure
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Special requests