Submissions/JoburgpediA: Community Building through A wikitown Concept
After careful consideration, the Programme Committee has decided not to accept the below submission at this time. Thank you to the author(s) for participating in the Wikimania 2014 programme submission, we hope to still see you at Wikimania this August.
- Submission no. 2023
- Title of the submission
- JoburgpediA: Community Building through A wikitown Concept
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
- Dumisani Ndubane (User:Thuvack)
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
JoburgpediA Project follows the successes of the pilot project completed in 2013. JoburgpediA pilot involved the Installation of QRcode plaques along side the City of Johannesburg's prestigious Blue Plaques installed in Heritage sites. The second phase of the project focuses on creating awareness and consolidating gains made with GLAM partners and Local Authorities as well as creating new partnerships. This project brings together heritage stake holders ( Johannesburg Heritage Foundation, City of Johannesburg and Heritage enthusiasts ) and Wikipedia in the boldest GLAM project in Africa.
This Presentation explores overall issues encountered in the execution of GLAM partnerships, How new partners were created as well as the impact of a writting competition and a Wikipedian in Residence. The following issues will be discussed:
- GLAM Partners: Existing and New Partners
- We look at the contributions of City of Johannesburg in-terms of offering us crediblity leverage and networking leads with other possible GLAM partners. We explore the gains made with Johannesburg Heritage Foundation as well as their contribution to the Joburg portal in wikipedia. We overview the new involvement of the Constitution court and how its volunteer program was interfaced with Wikipedia. And finally we overview the Museum Africa and what Africana material they had to offer to wikipedia.
- Joburgpedia Writing competition
- A writing competiton is always a good way to engage curious new editors as well as incentivise good editing efforts. This portion will disect how the writting competiton was conducted and review the sucesses of the competition.
- The Wikipedian in Residence: What worked for us
- This phase of the project included a provision for a Wikipedian in Residence. The WiR was based with JHF and Museum Africa. Statistics of scanned and uploaded archives, new articles/stubs as well as institutional user training experiences are presented.
JoburgpediA is has achieved impressive gains in the past two years and is only growing bigger and better. This is good for Joburg, good for the Wikimedia ZA chapter and good for Wikipedia.
- GLAM Outreach
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Yes, Attendance is confirmed.
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).