Submissions/First Dutch Wikipedian in Residence:Lessons learned after nine months at the National Archive and Library
After careful consideration, the Programme Committee has decided not to accept the below submission at this time. Thank you to the author(s) for participating in the Wikimania 2014 programme submission, we hope to still see you at Wikimania this August.
- Submission no. 2013
- Title of the submission
First Dutch Wikipedian in Residence:Lessons learned after nine months at the National Archive and Library
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
Presentation with room for questions and discussion
- Author of the submission
Hay Kranen (User:Husky)
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
National Library and National Archive of the Netherlands
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
In this session Hay Kranen will look back at the nine months he spend as the first Dutch Wikipedian in Residence for the National Archive and National Library of the Netherlands. What went well, what could have been better and are there other opportunities for GLAM's to work together with the Wikimedia community? There will be an overview of activities, reflections on the nitty gritty of trying to enforce the 'bottom-up' practices of Wikipedia on a 'top-down' organisation.
Obviously, there will be time for questions and discussion as well.
Some of the activities that Hay developed during his nine-month tenure that will be presented during this session:
- Introduction workshops that were given to over 100 archive and library employees.
- Contributions to Wikipedia projects like Staten-Generaal 550, Wikiproject Maps and the featured article De Draad.
- Wikimedia NL New Year's reception at the archive.
- Presentations for other institutions and events like the RKD, THATCamp The Hague, Ministry of Culture and Wikimaps in Finland.
- Developed tools for archives and libraries.
- Content donated to Wikimedia Commons using the GLAM-Wiki Toolset.
Another aspect that will be discussed during this meeting is if Wikipedia is 'open' enough itself. If we ask GLAM's to open up and donate media, we should do the same and try to make this as easy as possible.
In the end Hay will try to answer the question: what have the 200-year old archive and library learned from a 13-year old website?
- GLAM Outreach
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- OlafJanssen (talk) 11:48, 11 March 2014 (UTC)
- Ciell (talk) 18:38, 11 March 2014 (UTC)
- Jane023 (talk) 14:54, 12 March 2014 (UTC)
- 85jesse (talk) 14:22, 13 March 2014 (UTC)
- Slashme (talk) 08:58, 22 March 2014 (UTC)
- Scott (talk) 19:33, 23 March 2014 (UTC)
- Spinster (talk) 09:25, 26 March 2014 (UTC)
- Djembayz (talk) 12:03, 18 April 2014 (UTC)
- Slowking4 (talk) 23:46, 30 April 2014 (UTC)
- Add your username here.