Submissions/Curating the World's Art
Jump to navigation Jump to search
After careful consideration, the Programme Committee has decided not to accept the below submission at this time. Thank you to the author(s) for participating in the Wikimania 2014 programme submission, we hope to still see you at Wikimania this August.
- Submission no. 2009
- Title of the submission
- Curating the World's art
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
- Jane Darnell
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- USA, but I live in the Netherlands
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
- Last year my local museum celebrated its 100-year anniversary and I decided to "wikify" their most popular artist: Frans Hals. This artist has a page in 53 language versions of Wikipedia, but only 9 language versions have a category for his work, and each local Wikipedia's selection of highlights is influenced by the works in their national collections. Since the artist died, several centuries have passed, and the way his art was curated by auction houses, art galleries, collectors, and much later, museums such as my local one, has changed over time. As I slowly reconstructed all of the old Frans Hals art catalogs and checked their concordance from the earliest one dated 1883 to the latest one dated 1989, I noticed that early art attributions were far from scientific, took a lot of travel and personal expense for the art historian, and were never 100% firm. In this presentation I use a few examples to explain how Wikipedia is a game-changer for art history and why I feel the G&M parts of GLAM should be linking together more with the L&A parts of GLAM on Wikimedia Commons to supplement "their" artwork images with historical metadata to support an international art portal for all language versions of Wikipedia.
- GLAM Outreach
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- During my project I published all of the images I found on Wikimedia Commons in a special category here: Catalogs of Frans Hals paintings on Wikimedia Commons
- When I finished my project, I published a List of paintings by Frans Hals
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).