Submissions/Cool research about language
After careful consideration, the Programme Committee has decided not to accept the below submission at this time. Thank you to the author(s) for participating in the Wikimania 2014 programme submission, we hope to still see you at Wikimania this August.
- Submission no. 1025
- Title of the submission
- Cool research about language
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
- Author of the submission
- Niklas Laxström
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Wikimedia (Language Engineering team)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
In this talk I will present my findings on research papers related to wikis and languages. I will cover the most relevant findings that help us to understand ourselves better. I will do my best to explain things in a simple way for people who are not experts on this area.
I am usually known as the i18n guy. This year I wanted to do something different from "I did this and will do that" of some previous years. Given that I have just started doing a PhD and reading many papers, I can share the most interesting, funniest and most unexpected things I come across.
As you know, there are hundreds of Wikipedias, and almost none of them are like the English Wikipedia. There have been studies which focus on the English Wikipedia, or some other language Wikipedia, or handful of them. But what can we say about the similarities and differences of Wikipedias (or other wikis)? How do people use Wikipedias in multiple languages? What's the role of translation? About these, or something else depending on what I find, will be presented.
- WikiCulture & Community
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- B25es (talk) 17:58, 24 March 2014 (UTC)
- Maybe it will become a tradition like effeietsanders' cool projects by chapters! --Nemo bis (talk) 11:12, 27 March 2014 (UTC)
- --MF-Warburg (talk) 21:18, 29 March 2014 (UTC)
- Tbayer (WMF) (talk) 17:11, 30 March 2014 (UTC)
- Thryduulf (talk) 14:44, 31 March 2014 (UTC)
- Sjgknight (talk) 08:46, 1 April 2014 (UTC)
- MichaelMaggs (talk) 14:40, 6 April 2014 (UTC)
- Arunbandana (talk) 06:48, 8 April 2014 (UTC)
- Siebrand (talk) 18:00, 9 April 2014 (UTC)
- Quiddity (talk) 19:11, 12 April 2014 (UTC)
- Runab WMF (talk) 04:43, 20 May 2014 (UTC)
- Masssly (talk) 12:48, 5 July 2014 (UTC)
- Add your username here.