Submissions/Contributing and collaborating on a transnational and multilingual theme: The Alps and the Wikimedia projects
After careful consideration, the Programme Committee has decided not to accept the below submission at this time. Thank you to the author(s) for participating in the Wikimania 2014 programme submission, we hope to still see you at Wikimania this August.
- Submission no. 8015
- Title of the submission
Contributing and collaborating on a transnational and multilingual theme: The Alps and the Wikimedia projects
- Type of submission (discussion, hot seat, panel, presentation, tutorial, workshop)
Round table with open workshop
- Author of the submission
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Switzerland, Italy
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Wikimedia AT (invited, to be confirmed)
- Wikimedia CH
- Wikimedia DE (invited, to be confirmed)
- Wikimedia FR (invited, to be confirmed)
- Wikimedia IT (invited, to be confirmed)
- Slovenian wikipedians (to be invited)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
- The Alpine space is considered an important transnational region by the European Union , by NGOs  and by researchers . This round table creates an opportunity for chapters and wikipedians living around the Alps or interested on the Alps to meet each other and to collaborate around a thematic project to improve wikimedian content. Several NGOs already created a transnational program focused on the Alps, why not doing the same for Wikimedia.
The topic includes several aspects: from geography to geology, from ethnography to history, from climate to sociology. Several GLAMs and organizations already focus their interest on Alps.
Wikimedia CH has been working for several years – mainly in Italian-speaking Swiss regions and on Wikipedia projects in Italia – by collaborating with universities and international associations to create on Wikipedia a central repository with high qualitative material like bibliographies, books, bulletins; this experience aimed at providing also researchers with relevant and high quality content on an open repository.
This "virtual library" on the Internet has been proposed to several GLAMs – the majority of them small GLAMs – to invite them to join, to share their content and increase th documentation available; the "virtual library" targets researchers and it addresses them to the most appropriate GLAMs with relevant repositories in the field of their studies.
In addition Wikimedia CH will propose this year a photo contest focused on the Alps in substitution of Wiki Loves Monuments; a series of wiki-expeditions will be organized to document mountain climbing or sports related to the Alps and the alpine space.
Chapters or wikipedians living far from the Alps are of course invited to participate as well; the Alps is a topic also related to migrations and sports like mountain climbing and the thematic approach of this proposal can be relocation on other mountain system (i.e. Himalaya or Andes) or on other topics.
- Structure of the discussion:
- Short presentation of each participant and expectations.
- Each person presents his/her topics of interest related to the Alps: ideas, devious and ongoing projects or personal interests (i.e. monuments, nature, languages, villages...)
- Discussion about relevant Wikimedia projects (i.e. Wikipedia, Wikisource, Wikimedia Commons, WikiData...) and the content we are interested in potentiating (analysis of possible Wikimedia projects' needs)
- Institutions and people we are already involving or we are interested in involving (target, beneficiaries)
- Opportunities available and timeline for the next steps of the collaboration. Alps portal on meta
- GLAM Outreach
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 1 hour and 30 minutes or 1 hour.
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Maybe and yes.
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Wikimedia CH already financed a project focused on history of Alps for 2012 and 2013.
- Portal Alps on meta
- Possible program to fundraise for initiatives Alpine Space Porgram 2014-2020.
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- Interesting challenge. There was also a submission last year on yet another potential multi-national project, that unfortunately didn't worked out. --Sannita (talk) 17:06, 26 March 2014 (UTC)
- --Claudia.Garad (talk) 08:27, 1 April 2014 (UTC)
- -Elitre (talk) 12:28, 20 April 2014 (UTC)
- --Yiyi (talk) 11:49, 21 June 2014 (UTC)
- --Fabexplosive (talk) 15:32, 21 June 2014 (UTC)