Submissions/An Image Filter that might be acceptable to this community
After careful consideration, the Programme Committee has decided not to accept the below submission at this time. Thank you to the author(s) for participating in the Wikimania 2014 programme submission, we hope to still see you at Wikimania this August.
- Submission no. 5004
- Title of the submission
- Type of submission
- hot seat presentation
- Author of the submission
- Jonathan Cardy
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- United Kingdom
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
Though I am a Wikimedia UK staffer this is a personal project presenting something I wrote as a volunteeer before becoming staff.
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
We have many millions of images in our project, most of which would be inoffensive to almost anyone, but small minorities of which are offensive to various people. This has prompted several calls for us to introduce some sort of image filter.
We have had several discussions as a community about having some sort of an image filter. In 2011 this got to the point of a WMF board decision and proposal, which was then withdrawn after some intense debate in the community.
My personal response to the proposal and the objections that it provoked was to attempt to design a filter that would meet as many of the objections as possible, whilst being I think a better filter, though probably more expensive to implement.
Now that we have had time for the angst of 2011/12 to subside, perhaps we can see if it is possible to work towards a consensus on an image filter that accomodates the objections of the community and also the aspirations of those who would like to filter out certain images from their personal viewing.
- Technology, Interface & Infrastructure
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 Minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
This is based on a design I wrote at meta:Controversial content/Brainstorming/personal private filters
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Bene* (talk) 22:28, 15 February 2014 (UTC)
- Vogone (talk) 22:19, 17 February 2014 (UTC)
- --Base (talk) 14:42, 18 February 2014 (UTC)
- MPelletier (WMF) (talk) 21:35, 19 February 2014 (UTC)
- Ireas (talk) 01:40, 17 March 2014 (UTC)
- Gnom (talk) 19:32, 20 March 2014 (UTC)
- Slashme (talk) 08:33, 22 March 2014 (UTC)
- Anthonyhcole (talk) 06:47, 24 March 2014 (UTC)
- Thryduulf (talk) 13:46, 31 March 2014 (UTC)
- Ironholds (talk) 14:18, 31 March 2014 (UTC)
- EpochFail (talk) 14:28, 31 March 2014 (UTC)
- MichaelMaggs (talk) 14:32, 6 April 2014 (UTC)
- Ocaasi (talk) 22:49, 6 April 2014 (UTC)
- Add your username here.