Education Pre-Conference/Badges, WikiMedia and MediaWiki
This session will not now take place as announced, but the content may be presented as a lightning talk. Enquiries to User:Charles Matthews
Badges are the latest cool thing. The are currently not used in the MediaWiki world. Should they be? If so, how?
- Are they compatible with Wikimedian anonymity?
More specifically, there are programmes we could or should tie into, such as
- Use of wikipedia in the classroom.
- Contributing to Wikipedia as the Volunteering component of Duke of Edinburgh Award http://www.dofe.org/en/content/cms/parents/how-long/
- Contributing to Wikipedia as a Scouts (or similar) badge.
where a Mozilla Open Badge awarded by WikiMedia UK could be a useful way to manage accreditation of someones contribution.
Issues to solve
- So far, badges get awarded to people identified by email address. It would be more appropriate to award them to WikiMedia user accounts. Can we subvert the standard to do that?
- What, if anything, should WikiMedia foundation, or WikiMedia UK, award badges for?
- How would that work?
- Time: 1 hour on August 7
- Teachers, WikiMedia Ambassadors, ...
- Facilitator: Stevie Benton
- Next steps: Charles will send email, Stevie will be contact, Fabian will help out.
- 15 people, group discussion
- Outcome: better understanding of compatibility of badges with Wikimedia culture